4.07.2020

I just tracked down one of my favorite portrait lenses from the "golden years" of photography; the 1990's... Yes I bought it.


There were two portrait lenses for 35mm which formed my idea of what a focal length for head and shoulders images of people should be. One was the 90mm Leica Summicron and the other was a 90mm Leica Elmarit. The Summicron was the faster of the two since its maximum aperture was f2.0. It was also a bit more complex of an optical design. But the one I got the most use out of on my R Leica cameras was the Elmarit 90mm f2.8. In the close-up range it wasn't any sharper than the Summicron but that was okay for portraits. Where the lens really came into its own was when I found the magic combination: f4.0 with the focus set at about six feet. The lens became pleasantly crisp but wasn't so analytical that it was mean to people, and the out of focus background rendering at that combination was absolutely gorgeous.

By modern lens standards the optical formulation was nothing to write home about. It's a four element, four group design. But each version of the lens (there were three successive models) was built out of solid metal and the focusing ring was, well, perfect. The final version, which I found in mint shape, was equipped with a built-in, extendible lens shade and a 55mm filter ring.

The lens is small and fairly light (especially when compared to the monstrously huge Sigma 85mm f1.4 lens I use for this range right now.

I like the way Leica's R series lenses render images of people and I can't wait to use it. I pick the lens up tomorrow (one of my friends bought it a while back and never got around to using it or getting an adapter ring for his system) but I have to wait to use it until a Leica R to L-mount adapter arrives on a slow boat from Amazon.com. This is a lens I'd happily pair with my Zeiss 50mm f1.7 lens as pretty much a perfect walk-around set for a Panasonic S1R. Plenty sharp enough but with character and without the need for weight lifting classes to transport by foot.

Can't wait to give it a first try. Fun on the cheap.

And, by the way, in all the years of using digital cameras with older, MF lenses there's never been a camera that's easier to manually focus with them than the S1 Lumix series. Must have something to do with the 5+ megapixel EVF. That, and a convenient button to get quick image magnification. But remember to set your S1 to Raw+Jpeg if you want to get the highest finder magnifications when previewing...

Finding fun stuff everywhere. Wait till I tell you about the new swim training stuff I ordered. It's so cool you'll want to swim right now.


8 comments:

Craig said...

I always love your portraits of Belinda. She has wonderful eyes and there is always love in the way you work with her.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks Craig. She's been consistently perfect since I met her 46 years ago. I've been entranced every day since then.

jason gold said...

Always great photos of Belinda..
I mainly used the 90mm Tele-Elmarit f2.8 on M3 ..
Other lens to-go-to was Nikkor 105 mm f2,5 'Sonnar'.
Used both at full aperture or f4.0 for portraits, headshots.
I loved the softer look of both..unlike my devastatingly 135mm Tele-Elmar f4,
and my Mamiya TLR 180mm lens that i permanently slapped Scotch tape across front element..

In a bind my 50mm Collapsible Summicron (used 90mm frame) cropped.
A joy for portraits.. that i could sell..

DGM said...

Yes! The Elmarit R 90 is wonderful. I assume you got a copy of the later version (the earliest version had one extra element and is a bit less delicious). Another unsung gem is the 135 R 2.8. Wide open it is not wonderful, but at f5.6 to f8 it is really sweet. Very inexpensive because nobody respects it wide open.

There is something about the glass choices and the older anti-reflection coatings that lend these Leica lenses a slightly darker, more color saturated rendition that I really enjoy. That rendition is even stronger on the old 90 M mount f4 Elmar (and its 135mm sibling). Those old M mount lenses make your camera look a bit like a sniper scope, but what an interesting rendition compared to modern lenses. Very much like choosing a different film stock. :)

Have fun!

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Yes. Last version.

Eric Rose said...

I love using my M lenses on the GH5. The crop factor is a bit of a drag but the 50mm Summicron does a wonderful job.

Eric

Fred said...

As I am sure you already surmised, I already want to go swimming right now. I did finally pack away all my goggles and suits. I think that the pools in New York State, both indoor and outdoor, will be closed for quite a while. Our best shot here in the northeast may be open water swimming when it warms up. I have a neon orange inflatable swim buoy that I hope will be seen by anxious boaters trying to outrun the virus this summer.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Snagged the lens, now waiting for the adapter ring to arrive. It's always something....