8.02.2020

Gearing up for our first "real" job since the end of February.

From a lab shoot in New Jersey. 
A couple of years ago...

I'm very excited. And a bit nervous. I accepted a project for a company that makes all sorts of top tier bio-tech testing equipment. They make some of the machines that are used in Covid-19 testing, blood pathogen testing and cancer screening. They sell the diagnostic products around the world and they need photographs of some new products that are rolling out, along with stylized images of a clinician using the machines.

I'm excited because I think it's going to be fun getting back to work but I'm also nervous because it's been a while since I've done table top sized product shots and I want to try out some of the features of the S1 and S1R Lumix cameras that I either have not used or used only once, to test, months ago, and have largely forgotten how to use.

I'm waiting for a current technology USB-c 3.1 to same cable to arrive today so I can set up and test the first important feature. The client and I would both like to shoot the actual product shots (machines against white backgrounds) with a high res camera tethered to a laptop. The cable I ordered is a high bandwidth cable that's designed for camera to computer transfers. Once I have it in hand I get to download the latest version of Lumix Tether and figure out the best way to make it all work.

I know I can get the actual camera controls to work with the program but I need to be able to quickly review the files and I'm pretty sure I'll need to use Lightroom or Capture One and set up a watched folder for that. So, working on that and then practicing the set-up over and over again is on the agenda for this afternoon.

The one other feature, in camera, I'm interested in is the focus stacking/post focus capability. I have high hopes of making this work for all my stationary product-only shots but I'm a bit bummed that the system is limited to a max of 18 megapixel files (they are blended from 6K video files...). I have a suspicion that I'll want to hedge my bets and shoot with this post focus feature but also back-up each set-up with a high res file in the S1R. We'll see which one gets us the best focus depth+detail. I have a sinking feeling, after playing around with earlier Panasonic cameras that I'll want the higher res file, in raw, as the starting point for our post production. I just wish I could have both the focus stacking with range selection AND a 47.5 megapixel file... Maybe that will happen on the S2R.

Again, I think I'll pull my Canon Pro 100 printer onto a white seamless sweep this afternoon and play around with various lenses and camera to subject distances to see just how much of a typical product I can keep in sharp focus with the high res camera and then with the focus stacking. The funny thing is that I know I could stop down the lens on a Canon G16 to f8.0 and get total coverage but I'm pretty sure my client is counting on a big, juicy raw file to play with once we get through the photography process and into post. I'm putting time in experimenting today because I don't want to get caught short on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of this coming week. We've got a lot to accomplish.

Another thing I haven't thought of for quite a while is the effect of diffraction on sharpness with small pixel/high density sensors like the one in the S1R. Yes, you can get tons and tons of detail at optimum apertures but...you have to be cognizant of the potential sharpness robbing issue of lens diffraction at the smaller apertures one needs to achieve deep focus. Extended depth of field.

In the best of all worlds we'd want to use f16 and, if available, f22 for all of the product shots in order to get good sharpness from the leading edge of the product all the way to the back of the cabinet. My hope is that the Leica certified Panasonic lenses and the Sigma Art lenses I'll bring will be well enough corrected to make the effects of diffraction less obvious, but I know that a lot of the effect is down to the physics of aperture size and focal length. Still, it would be nice to be able to use smaller f-stops.

Again, we'll spend some time testing to make sure we're not setting ourselves up for disappointment.

One idea that came to me while working through all of this would be to back up the camera a bit from the subject and make the products smaller in the frame, overall, but to then enable the high-res mode (multi-shot) in the camera to generate those huge 160-180 megapixel files the camera is capable of and then cropping in to provide a right sized image in the frame. If I can double the resolution of the frame and move back to make the object smaller (half size?) in the frame I could still end up with an equal amount of resolution but with more depth of field on the product. Again, this is something else I need to test today.

We'll be using our collection of LED lights for this assignment since the products and the products+clinician aren't really moving fast....

I've enlisted Ben to assist me on this one because we've been inhabiting the same safe "bubble" for the last ten days or so and I feel comfortable with him. I was hesitant to hire an assistant that I didn't know well, or even one I did, since you can never know their actual chain of connectivity to a wider group.

I did a walk through with the client on Thursday. We'll be shooting the products in a large media room at the facility. There is no one officing there now as their media team is working from home. Ben and I will be the only ones in the room for the set-ups and, once we've got something to show, we'll bring in the A.D. to look at the image on the laptop and either approve it or advise us about changes. The rest of the offices and labs around us are also unpopulated and will remain so during the three days of the shoot.

We have two models but we will only be photographing one of them at a time. As usual, most of the time will be spent with Ben and me setting up the basic structure of each clinical setting shot and then bringing in our model once we're ready to shoot. Since the company is a bio-tech engineering company the models (who are also clinicians) will be dressed for their typical lab work: with face masks, face shields, lab ware and gloves. The room we'll be photographing in is about 2500 square feet and totally bereft of anyone but our small team.

As I was thinking about writing this I was so focused on our current reality that I was going to say something like: "One of the reasons I'm nervous about this project is that it's the first time I've had to work with a face mask, etc. for three full days in a row!!!" But on reflection I've spent (cumulatively) many weeks in full "bunny" suits, with hoods, goggles and gloves -- even Tyvek shoe covers --- while photographing various processes in semi-conductor clean rooms over the years. Several years ago we also did a multi-day shoot for another Bio-Tech firm in Houston; one that handles deadly pathogens, and we were fully suited up for most of that project as well. By comparison, this is much less cumbersome.

Ben and I are both up to the physical task ahead of us but I haven't had to pay attention and use my brain in this way for months now. I hope I don't get distracted and wander off. Or get bored and go looking for a swimming pool. But, if we handle this successfully then it signifies to me that we're back  in the mix.

Wish me luck with that depth of field issue. It's kind of new territory for me with this particular camera system but, I guess we've done it all before with lesser cameras so with a bit of luck we'll find it as easy as it should be.

Nice to get back into the mix, have P.O.'s cross the desk, scout locations and re-find some daily purpose; besides swimming and those dreaded downtown photos....

Hope you've got a good week planned. Don't let your guard down but don't forget to mix in some fun.

16 comments:

Ron White said...

Good Luck - You & Ben will "Ace It".....

Frank Grygier said...

If memory serves me, Helicon software will create a stacked image from the Panasonic 6k video file and output a high megapixel tiff file.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks Frank, Good suggestion.

MikeR said...

Cool! Can't wait to read your "trip report."

Dave Jenkins said...

You could always shoot it on 4x5 and use the camera movements. :o)

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Time to dust off the 8x10? Not likely... 😄

Ray said...

The way you prepare I doubt you'll need much in the way of luck, but still, I hope nothing beyond your control goes wrong. I, also, am looking forward to the trip report.

Patrick Dodds said...

Sounds just about as perfect a photography job as you could get during this pandemic. I hope it goes well.

MartinP said...

Aha ! I was just going to suggest a bit of front-tilt and a little swing -- but someone got there first! Is there maybe somewhere that you can hire an Alpa rig, with an adapter for your Panasonic? Or, does an architectural tilt-and-swing lens exist which is both hire-able and adaptable to your camera? After all, you won't exactly need infinity focussing! Enjoy the challenge etc. etc.

Craig Yuill said...

I recall that you ran into a depth-of-field issue during a similar type of job a while back. Your solution was to use a smaller-format camera. Perhaps your GX8 could be pressed into service if your full-frame bodies aren't quite delivering the deep focus that you need.

Michael Matthews said...

Something tells me the step-back / hi-res solution will prove superior if your client really needs huge files in raw format.

Another possible answer might be to pick up an Olympus camera (borrow/rent/buy...did somebody say "buy"?). Even the EM5.2 will do focus stacking in camera and with your Olympus Pro lenses the result should be superb.

Fred said...

Well Craig Yuill beat me to it, but I believe there might be a G9 in one of your drawers. It may be worth testing before Wednesday and considering it as a backup .I don't know if it would work with the same version of Tether and it may be more bother than it's worth. Anyway, it all sounds interesting.

Eric Rose said...

Sounds exciting! Maybe have a video camera or two going to capture you two at work. But I suppose security issues would trump that.

Back when I was using a D700 I shot some equipment in an oil refinery. I focus stacked at optimum aperture by changing the focus point manually. Some shots took up to 24 separate exposures. PS easily put them all together into one high rez file. A little to old school maybe for your situation. I still use the same technique with my GH5 when shooting flowers.

I'm excited for both you and Ben! I'm sure you will ace the assignment and have a blast doing it.

Eric

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Michael M. The S1R has a focus stacking feature as well. It's even better in the G9, which I've also got. I think, after today's test (see more recent post) I'm comfortable with the gear.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

thanks Eric and Fred,

Eric, I'm never too fancy to pass up manual focus stacking. I just hope I don't have to! 🤣

Fred, I do have a G9 and, in fact, I was testing its high res mode today. It's an really good performer and the Panasonic/Leica lenses resolve detail very well. Hmmmm.

I'm taking mostly lenses for the FF stuff so my back up will have to be....a second S1R.

Security blanket. Second identical camera.

David said...

If the S1R has focus *bracketing*, you might be able to use that to generate a series of raw files that you can then stack externally in a package like Helicon.