8.03.2020

It was a luxurious day to take a leisurely and comfortable walk with a small camera.


There's something both whimsical and practical about taking a small, discreet and convenient camera along with you when you walk. I've done it both ways; I've hauled around promethian cameras that weighed too much and were complex to operate, and I've walked with the more sybaritic protocol of having a camera along that was just good enough, but weightless to carry. And if your goal is a walk with exuberance and relaxation then the smaller camera is definitely the right choice. If you are in one of those moods where you feel compelled to be a tortured artist then no one is going to talk you out of packing the big gear. 

I woke up late today. I had the most restful sleep I can remember in ages. I didn't rush over coffee and breakfast but I took it outside, on the back patio, away from my laptop and all the news of the day. Only the sound of birds and wind through trees. When I laced my shoes I knew it was going to be one of those walks where you feel like you have endless energy and no pressing schedule to rush you back to the shackles of commerce. 

I went out with nothing special in mind and came back with exactly the same balance. Nothing I photographed was revelatory, nothing sublime. Just a quick snap here and there to commemorate the idea that the walk itself is the treasure. Not whatever might come out of the camera. 

I'm not sure why but I felt relaxed, rich, strong and curious. What a great blend to motivate just the right kind of walk. 

When I got back to the house I was hot and sweating. I tossed the camera on the desk in my office and walked into the north yard. I tossed my sweat soaked shirt onto the edge of the old wooden bench, kicked off my shoes and socks and stood under the cool water of the garden hose. Cool. Refreshing. Calming. I left my clothes in the sun to dry.

I spent the afternoon reading "The Wind in the Willows." Ben made a fine curry dish for dinner. Belinda smiled at me and touched my shoulder just so. For just right now, in this moment, everything is right with my world. Let me stop for a moment and really appreciate that. 

So, that's what gratitude feels like...



















16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah. That's sweet.

Robert Roaldi said...

The shadow in that first photo is a little ominous looking.

Gato said...

Nice post; nice photos.

"relaxed, rich, strong and curious" -- great way to feel.

Michael Matthews said...

Having a three-day job booked with all the in special gear sorted may have contributed. Henry White took the night off.

jlsalvignol said...

Lee Van Cleef

Sergio Leone

Il Buono, Il Brutto, Il Cattivo

That first photo is great. Really great.

Mike Mundy said...

BTW, how's that "new Blogger interface" working for you?

Mark the tog said...

I love "Wind in the Willows". I read it several times as a kid. My mom was English and could read it with all the different voices and appropriate character accents. We also had a BBC recording of it that was brilliant.
The chapter titled "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" creeped me out though.

Eric Rose said...

That's what feeling "blessed" feels like. I have those days but not nearly enough of them. My "small" walking around camera today is the Rollei 35 with Tessar lens.

Love your imagery Kirk. Both photographic and written.

Eric

G Gudmundsson said...

This is a wonderful post. It is very important to be thankful for what you/we have, not to always lust for a new camera or lens ... ;-)

Thank you!

hbernstein said...

There's something about the stopsign/overpass image that I really like. It's very egglestonian, perhaps? Anyway, I'm a sucker for that sort of ubiquitous subject, when done well. The images deftly illustratethe text. It must have been a very nice walk.

Admin said...

Looks like Sigma just dropped a new 85mm f/1.4 Art lens for L Mount. Thoughts?

Henk said...

I love your writing, the first image of your post reminds me stongly of the work of Vivian Maier.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Admin: Re: the sigma 85mm new product announcement. "Thoughts?" Yes, at almost half the weight and equal performance...buy one as soon as they become available. No hesitation.

John Miller said...

A great enjoyable story which makes for a wonderful read! I love your photo-walk stories...please keep posting them.

Eric Rose said...

No one has mentioned that your lead off b&w image makes you look like a monk.

Bob said...

Kirk, I only recently came across your blog, maybe six months ago? But I've read most of your posts, in dribs and drabs as I search on different subjects. It's like opening a time capsule from the days when Thunder Lizards roamed the Earth and digital cameras displayed a mind-boggling megapixel or so. This post, however, is your best, at least for me. I recently, back in the days of yore of February, went to a yoga retreat with my wife (I do not yoga. I do admire the pants). One of the exercises we did as a group was to go out and mindfully walk slowly around the campus and look at things, and try to become One with them or something. I took this as an opportunity to shoot about thirty photos with my iPhone. When we all got back after about 30 minutes, my wife looked at me and asked, "How did it go." And I said, "you know why I'm always getting lost when we're out walking? This is what photographers do." She liked my photos.

This is your best post ever.