11.26.2022

Lightroom and Leica SL2 now work perfectly for tethered capture.


 Two weeks ago I was trying to tether the Leica SL2 to Lightroom Classic for a photo shoot. Every time I launched "start tethered capture" in the app it would crash. Something has changed. I have no clue what it is. But the process is now simple and saves me from buying yet another expensive and unnecessary application which I would have only used for the purposes of tethering a camera. 

Here's how to do it. First update both the camera, the computer operating system and Lightroom classic to the latest versions. In the camera menu choose PTP for your USB setting. Turn off camera. Attach the camera to a USB 3.0 cable and attach the cable to the computer. Launch Lightroom. Turn on the camera. Select "tethered capture" in the LRC "file" menu. Select "start tethered capture" in the sub-menu. Select a folder to house the files. Start shooting.

This works with the camera's raw files because they are a standard .DNG file. 

A window will open at the top left of the screen to show a preview image. You can use a command bar to do rudimentary setting changes on the camera and to trigger the shutter. When you take each shot it appears in the center screen at a large size. A row across the bottom of the window contains the sequential thumbnails of all the images. You can magnify the selected frame and use any other image processing tools in Lightroom. You do not need to load any plug-ins.

I tried it twice. Both times it was rock solid. Nice. Happy photographer. 

Now to see if it will work on an older SL....

4 comments:

Timothy Gray said...

Isn’t it a truly wonderful feeling when the technological stars align and things just work?!

Happy to hear you have things sorted out. Although if you ever get the itch to do a wireless tether, Capture One really has a rather nice implementation, at least when working with Fujifilm X mount cameras.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hi Timothy, Good with Fuji and also Canon and Sony but just a rudimentary set of tools for the Leicas. Not much different than Lightroom except I've a decade+ Lightroom user and know the program inside and out. The times I used Capture One I could never figure out where the program was putting my files. And outputting the files seemed needlessly complex. But, if I switch to a different system I'll certainly consider it.

Thanks, KT

Chuck Albertson said...

It must have been the switch back to Standard Time. Or the decision to drop the "leap second," beginning in 2035. But I had some down time on a trip a couple of weeks ago, and playing around with the SL, I found that the Leica Fotos app on my iPad actually works for a change (version 3.2.6). It can even switch the camera to video at the press of a button.

Do let us know if Lightroom tethering works with the SL.

Rod Arroyo said...

Thanks for this. I am going to try tethering soon.