12.13.2022

I am nearly impossible to buy holiday presents for. Mea Culpa.


 When I was younger I was always able to make a list of things that I'd like to get as holiday presents. while this sounds selfish the making of lists is a family tradition on my wife's side. they like the idea that they'll be getting something the recipient really wants. And in turn something they really want. And her family has always been frugal; no gift on the list has ever come close to costing $50. They don't buy gifts for everyone in the extended family circle. They put all the names in a random generator and pair up a gift giver with a recipient. Your task, where the family is concerned, is to give the one gift or a carefully curated collection of small gifts to the one person that was chosen for you. When this system was "installed" they also decided that it would be a time saver for the giver and a huge relief for the gift recipient if everyone made lists of things they might like to get. 

As commerce and tech intermingled it became commonplace for each person to include a few links to various things they'd be happy to get which makes it even easier on the gift giver. 

this all sounds very transactional but since the giver never gifts to his own gift giver it eliminates the usual quid pro quo of gift-giving. My wife's family is also very kind and well adjusted and with them it really is the "thought" much more so than the actual value of the gift that matters most. I didn't believe this was possible for the first twenty years of marriage since my own family was hell bent on always keeping track....

In our own nuclear families we still give and get gifts from/for each other but we have adopted list-making to ease the almost mandatory stress of the season. It's hard enough scheduling busy work days without having to intuit and track down the "perfect gift." 

I came up short this year. I just couldn't think of anything I wanted. Since we stopped paying for the big items that people in their 30s, 40s and 50s have to pay for (college, mortgages, elder care, etc.) I've had free rein to buy whatever I want. This creates a burden for B & B since they haven't a clue for what to get dear old dad. They know better than to buy camera gear because: A. It's expensive. B. My tastes change too often. and C. If I really wanted a particular camera/lens/flash/bag etc. I've probably already impulsively run out and bought it. Pretty much in the moment I decided I wanted it.

Most of the books I like to read (almost always novels. don't trust anyone who doesn't enjoy fiction....)  come from the local library. It's fair. We support them with our tax dollars. So books are off the table as gifts. We are largely tech neutral so there are few, if any, gadgets I need or want. 

But I realize that my impulsive and spontaneous embrace of photo gear creates a hardship for my loving family in that it removes a big potential source of gifts. 

We all agree that among a close knit family gift cards are tacky. They are too easy and too impersonal. Lately we've fallen back on the path of least resistance which is to choose charities that we know the target of our giving is aligned with and sending money. 

I kid around and suggest to B & B that they just grab the latest camera to come into the studio, wrap it up and put it under the tree. But not too far in advance of the actual holiday....if it's that new I want to be able to play with it beforehand. 

Mr. B (aka: the kid)  works hard to find stuff. Sometimes it's a pricy bottle of wine I would never splurge on. Other times it's a piece of art he knows I'll like. Ms. B has largely given up and focuses on the donation route. Or the shared entertainment category (concert tickets?).  But lately we've downsized our spend to things like gardening tools for her and chlorine neutralizing, post swim body wash for me. We're remarkably easy to please...

I confess to be mystified by my friends who "over-achieve" in the giving of gifts to close family. things like cars for the adult kids or lavish fashion gifts for husbands and wives. Splashing out for Rolex watches or flashy jewelry. But I guess it's a case of to each their own. 

Every year I notice photo-oriented blogs and websites making giant holiday gift lists aimed at their readers. The links connect back to a legion of affiliated merchants who are set to have a nice fourth quarter administering to people who delayed personal gratification, waiting for the holidays to provide the yearly excuse to be lavish and toss budgets to the wind. I guess this point of view comes from owning a business and seeing cameras, et al, as being depreciable or deductible expenses instead of drags on the family budget. 

But I really wonder if the blogger or  the photo website is the best source of photographic gift recommendations to an audience that spends an inordinate amount to time doing their own research about cool gear....

It's almost sinister to watch the buying pumps being primed by the very people one comes to for balanced information all year long. But perhaps the affiliate cash is earned over the course of the year by providing ready access to free content. 

Is it true then that there is no such thing as a free lunch? Or a free post or review?

It's feels almost obligatory to ask at this point, as a blogger --- but what is it that you really, really want for whichever holiday it is you celebrate with your family? And really, it doesn't have to be photographic.

My biggest "ask" this year is for a perfect pecan pie. I think it's do-able and I'll certainly share. 

How are the holidays treating you? 

It's a tough time of the year for some people. I try my best to be a bit nicer and more patient with people. It seems like a good idea.

Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go wrap some potting soil in a nice box with a bow.


27 comments:

JC said...

At a certain level of affluence, gift-giving become a problem because you can basically afford anything you want within reason, and anything not within reason would make you feel stupid to have. But if your wife needs a suggestion...cashmere. It's actually fairly affordable, it's comfortable, you probably wouldn't buy it for yourself, and for two months of the year in Austin, it would feel great. And, of course, it's not really "practical" in the Scroogey-sense of that word, which makes it even better.

EdPledger said...

Don’t skimp on the molasses in the pecan pie, double the pecans and cut the goop in half. Bookwise, I have been down the rabbit hole of detective novels from 40s-60s, like those of Ross Macdonald, most so old they’ve been sieved from library shelves, or later the Jo Nesbo series.

JimR 'Longviewer' said...

I've developed a fondness (and a recipe) for pumpkin pie with gingersnap crust. As a gluten-free diner I just buy g-free cookies and crush them mercilessly, then bake a crust & pour in the pie filling. Easy and tasteful.

My mom died last year just short of 99, so we will be celebrating her centennial a few days before Christmas. Irish whiskey for the toast; her dad's family held a land auction and left co. Cavan for the USA in 1899. We have a copy of the auction notice around here somewhere..

John Abee said...

Thanks, EdPledger, for the Ross Macdonald reference. Decades ago I read one of his mysteries and then ran out and read the rest. No mean feat in the pre-Amazon days. I had almost forgotten how much I enjoyed his work. If that pleasant memory prompts me to reread them, you get all the blame. Or the credit.

Anonymous said...

We've come up a collective blank at our place as well. My kids don't want anything. My wife doesn't want anything. I could imagine wishing for a new bicycle but I don't really care and that seems like a vanity, as it wouldn't make me healthier or fitter. So it comes down to having snow on Christmas day, and being able to pull the cross country skis out.

Nigel

adam said...

I normally rely on giving prints as gifts, large pictures are not allowed any more, but smaller ones are fine

PC Smith said...

Suggestions
1. Film - it could lead to many possible paths of self development.
2. Picture frame for motivation.
3. Typewriter style keyboard for the writer within.
4. Journal for thoughts you cannot put online.
5. Swimming performance log

Cheers Pierre

adam said...

I mean I got this huge print done in the black friday sale, but haven't broached the "do you want this?" question, I might get it framed for myself, looks really good, 200dpi and has decent detail

Robert Roaldi said...

A recent episode of the Hidden Brain podcast concerned gift giving. Yes, science has something to say about it. The recommendations that the researcher gives align very well with the traditions in your wife's family.

Heidfirst said...

I am not too dissimilar.
If I want/need it & can justify it I will buy it. If I can't justify it then it is too dear for somebody else to buy for me.

This year I have told my relatives that if they feel the need to give me a gift then to donate to charities in my name - others are going to find it a harder winter/year than I will. I hate getting novelty socks etc. :P

I really need to support my local library more.

John said...

I guess you missed the irony of your negative comment about people who are extravagant with their close family by buying a Rolex or expensive jewelry but you through you own admission “christmas gifted” yourself a one trick pony fixed lens camera for $5K plus…probably 90% of your readers (my guess of course) would find that to be an extravagant present to give yourself, which of course you can do but doesnt make it less extravagant. I saw that nobody gave you a negative comment about that purchase, probably because they dont want to poke the bear. Like my mom used to say to me, you need a camera like that like you need a hole in your head. Everything you have can take great photos the same or similar to the Q2, but it is good to help keep Leica in business for their ultra niche customers

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

John, How presumptuous of you to think I missed the irony. That was the glue that held the whole post together...

I wanted to buy a Sony Alpha but I couldn't swing the cost so bought the Q2 as a cost cutting measure..... you even get a free lens.

Eric Rose said...

BAh HUMBUG!!!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Maybe the commenter missed the irony of most Americans buying $50,000+ SUVs without a second thought but then are "horrified" that someone would spend $5,000+ on a nice camera. Not the most expensive camera. Just a nice camera. Seems like misplaced priorities to me.

I'm betting 90% of VSL reader could trot right out and buy any camera they wanted. Seems like the right demographic from what I can see.

karmagroovy said...

The perfect gift for a photographer who has all the latest/greatest gear... a hand crafted 6X6 format pinhole camera made of teak wood and a few rolls of Ilford FP4.

Roger Jones said...

Good Morning Mr.Tuck
As for gifts, we don't really give gifts, we get together, and I cook dinner watch movies and visit. For myself I have everything, and have for many years now. I give my sons some of their inheritance each year, and remind my youngest son to keep working, and that he has my 1985 Mercedes Benz 300CD TD (2 door coupe one of 7000 imported in to the USA) why is this of any importance you ask, well, it's because I worked for everything I have, and I expect them to do the same.

To be honest, for a kid that was orphaned at 10 years old I'm just fine. I have no wants or needs. If I could have one wish,......it would be, that my 2 best friends of 40 years were still here. It's lonely without them. It would be nice to be simply and stupid again, doing stuff in our 70's that we did in our 30's and just laughing about it, and that my wife's Asthma would improve to the point that we could go places again. My wife's in her 50's and the Asthma has really slowed her down. I had a patient with the same condition as her's years ago, late onset Asthma, it didn't go well for my patient so I keep a close eye on my wife. She says I have to much Gypsy blood in me, my reply, no that's Swedish blood......hahahahahaha I'll get one wish though, snow, it seems that we'll be getting a couple inches of snow next week here in Portland. It make for a wonderful 2 mile jog. The bright snow and clear blue skies, it's wonderful. Or cross country skiing, downside, I have to go it alone.

Remember laughing, or crying it's the same release so choice laughing.

I'm off to see about buying a Leica SL, do I need it....... no, do I want it yes, hahahahahahaha :)

I hope you and yours have a wonderful Holidays.

Happy holidays
Roger

John Krumm said...

The only photo website I see doing the gift thing is TOP, and I’m always happy to use one if it fits, along with the Patreon support. But I don’t really need anything either. I’ve got my eye on a BMW motorcycle for the spring though.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hi John, Seems like every day on DPR they're doing the "best of" Best Buy" Best Choice" of whatever they can throw out into the gaping maw.

Love the idea of a BMW motorcycle. More details?

P.S. I use Mike's links when it's a category I'm interested in....

John Krumm said...

I grew up on Motorcycles (literally, both parents rode my brother and I around the country, mostly CA, on two Norton Commandos in the 70's). I have an enjoyable but slightly boring Honda right now. BMW has shaft drive, which I like, and they have some almost affordable "standard" versions that I like too. I can still get a really good one for under $15,000. A guilty pleasure. Now what kind of tank bags are best for a Z6, I wonder?

This is what I'm thinking...

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/heritage/rnineturbangs.html

John Krumm said...

My brother and me. I used to teach high school English, and I should know better.

Anonymous said...

If there's one thing my siblings really can't stand, it's a "more minimalist than thou" attitude from me! If material gifts must be chosen, it's a pity that Digikey doesn't do gift cards.

Jeff in Colorado

Anonymous said...

We have gone to tickets for local events. Sets up date nights in the upcoming year. I really really don’t want anyone buying me stuff for any of my hobbies. The months of research and pondering what to buy is part of my enjoyment. As you I am a watch nut. In the extreme of deferred enjoyment I waited 32 years from seeing a watch and buying it. All part of the fun.

John said...

Well, I will admit that I have previously pulled the trigger on using a Fuji X100V for awhile and liked that fixed lens camera. And prior to that, I had the Sony RX1R Mark II which i can say without question, and I have used literally every camera maker camera out there at one time or another, the RX1R Mark II had just the most beautiful output possible. But they never upgraded it, never improved the AF, nothing and went in a different direction. My son has the Leica Q and is lusting over the Q 2 but since he has a new baby…well you know how that goes. So yes, enjoy your camera it will take great photos…oh wait, it is you that takes the great photos, I will again mention that your people photos around town are much more impactful then your here is the sky and side of building photos.

EdPledger said...

Regarding graffiti, etc. Your walks and shots around town seem like they can be construed as business related, testing equipment for output consistent with professional expectations, applicability for commercial projects. Regardless of whether you enjoy the equipment, I reckon you will find uses for even the Q2 in your professional work. But the graffiti reminds me of something you wrote about Vancouver…the lack of that “art” there. Then I see in the San Antonio news that Austin has been awarded the Bum Steer Award from Texas Monthly. Given your druthers, ignoring the business opportunities in Austin, how would you rank Austin, SA and Vancouver as urban living locations?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

EdPledger,

Austin has changed profoundly. Most of the social aspects of the city that made it unique are no longer there. Traffic sucks. Summers are brutal. Real Estate taxes are so incredibly high that people in the rust belt would faint upon opening their tax bill if they had to pay taxes like ours. National retailers are doing a great job of homogenizing the city with the usual spendy crap. And "red" Texas is closing in on all sides and might soon outlaw fun and freedom altogether...

San Antonio has a water scarcity issue, huge sections of high poverty, aging infrastructure and seems to be following Austin into the traffic nightmare/abyss.

The parts of Vancouver I saw were charming. The parks are great. Seems like the weather is (during most of the year) reasonable to good.

If you leave out the economics of each city then Vancouver gets an A-, San Antonio gets a C+ mostly because it's much more pretentious than the new arrivals have made Austin and also because SA totally rocks it for great Mexican and Tex-Mex food. Still a huge "good ole boy" network there but Austin will soon join them as new arrivals bring with them their tolerance of corruption from older cities.

If money were no object it would "hands down" Vancouver. Second choice San Antonio and Austin in an embarrassing third place. But are those three the only choices we get?

If I could live in Any city on the globe right now it might be Berlin or Reykjavik. Maybe there's still someplace nice to live in the U.S. but I haven't seen it yet.

What's your take?

EdPledger said...

Been to the central, touristy part of Reykyavik, driven out a 150 miles or so, mostly to the west, and have read murder mysteries set around Iceland by Indridason which flesh out the non-touristy parts of town and surrounding countryside. Inclined strongly towards Finland, Helsinki, but probably more the smaller cities. Not that I have been there yet, but I hope to this coming summer…health permitting. At 75 every place is just a visit on a short leash. Need to travel some in Canada.

Jon Maxim said...

I had to laugh at your family's conundrum which seems identical to ours. However, we did solve it. If I do buy new cameras and lenses within spitting distance of Christmas, I have to hand them in to be wrapped and put under the tree.

With every year that passes by, I am getting better at acting surprised.