5.14.2023

Photos from around the house. Mother's Day. Seems the perfect time to use my favorite camera and lens.


B. seems to be filling the patio, the gardens and the walkways with various succulents. This little fella sits right in the middle of the dining table on the screened in patio. Today we had soft rain and cool temperatures and when I came home from (you guessed it...) swim practice she was sitting on the patio savoring a cup of coffee and reading a book called, "Lawn Gone." It's about converting water hungry lawn spaces to areas filled with native species and non water consuming ground cover, like river rocks and crushed granite. 

I made a cup of coffee and joined her on the patio. The smell of the rain was good. The smell of my freshly brewed coffee was delicious. I ate two blueberry waffles. They were a fun divertissement from my usual Spartan fare. The morning was quiet and we both read our books and just relaxed. 

I was reading Annie Leibovitz's book, "At Work" and enjoying it immensely. Especially the essay in which she describes coming to a realization that she'd like to do a project without people in the frames. She was drawn to places that resonated with her, like Emily Dickinson's house and Georgia O'Keefe's Southwestern haunts and refuges. In the moment that desire to photograph objects or places instead of people spoke to me. 

I put down the book and walked into the dining room to pick up a camera from the big table in there and bring it outside. I brought the camera in from the studio the night before. I always like to have a camera in the house in case I see something I want to photograph. Yesterday I was interested in revisiting the 65mm focal length so I had the Sigma 65mm f2.0 on the oldest of my Leica SLs. Together they are a beautiful combination for photographing single objects and small tableaux. 

I tried to use the lens at its widest aperture but sometimes felt the need to stop down a bit to cover the objects I wanted in focus. I photographed B. reading her book but she has issued a moratorium on current images of her appearing on social media so...  I'll have a nice collection of contemporary B. portraits to print and hang around my office.  More >

The images of the yellow tulips above and below were taken in low existing light which required ISOs of 4,000 and 5,000. The SL camera does a fine job handling noise without losing either saturation or sharpness of small details and textures.  More >


We're hosts to more succulents than you can imagine and more seem to keep arriving as gifts on most holidays and birthdays. Some of the bigger ones, planted in beds outside, didn't make it through the recent ice storm but are in the process of being replaced. More >

Baby Succulents. 


When I'm seated at my place at the dining room table this is my view. Well, it would be my view if I saw everything through a 65mm lens...



My Berlebach monopod resting next to a bookshelf in the living room. 
It's lovely to use on hot, sunny days outside.

This old cedar chest from Adana, Turkey seems to be the transitional repository
for photo books I'm in the middle of or returning to frequently. Here's the current 
crop. "Wonderland" is overwhelming in sheer volume so I have to take it in smaller 
doses. It's not a "one sitting" retrospective. Same with the Peter Lindbergh book. 

This book however is a good one sitting read. And every  time 
I read through it I find something or some part being more emphatic and 
interesting than the last time I read it. The book hasn't changed. I guess
it would be my point of view that's in flux.

The view from my chair at the table on the patio. 
Everything in this quadrant of the yard seems perennially green.


So. After a quiet time outside on the porch what could be 
more natural than coming into the office and looking at 
photographs? 

Happy Mother's Day. 

 

11 comments:

Robert Roaldi said...

Re household objects, you might enjoy the work of artist Mary Pratt (https://www.wikiart.org/en/mary-pratt).

adam said...

you can do stuff with fleece blankets etc for some things, but do need to know the bad weather is coming

Bob said...

Nice. Serenity. Thanks.

crsantin said...

My wife also has the same policy but it's a permanent ban. I don't post images of her anywhere. I take as many photos of her as I can or as she will tolerate. Sometimes I catch her in a playful mood and she lets me shoot a bunch. My wife doesn't have any social media and does not enjoy it at all. She's smarter than I am, although I did get rid of Facebook years ago and Twitter last year when Musk bought it. I've been thinking about doing the same with Instagram. I was a heavy social media user a number of years ago and I don't think it did me any good. I should follow my wife's lead more often.

Sanjay said...

Like succulents as well. Need to start moving some outside. Ours get big enough and propagate into new pots - it's geometric growth!

What do you like about the Leica SL vs. the SL2?

David said...

Sitting on the screened porch in the rain is such a pleasure. A cup of coffee makes it even better.

karmagroovy said...

Lovely tulips! I got purple ones for my better half. I agree with David, Summer rain showers are a wonder to behold.

Rene said...

Kirk,

A suggested reading for B. is "Lawns into Meadows" by Owen Wormser. He just published a 2nd edition. I know him quite well as he designed and implemented two different projects at two different houses for us. The first project, a decade ago, was when our daughter suddenly had to change her wedding venue to our house. With five weeks notice he transformed our messy yard and garden into a summer wonderland. The second project, and more to your comment, was a few years ago when we built a new house. My wife (who gets all the credit for this) was determined to create a quarter acre sized meadow around our house at the edge of the woods. Once again, Owen helped, and with our input, created a fabulous meadow, from seed, filled with native plants and pollinator friendly species. Your situation is different, but she might find some useful ideas and concepts.

Terry Manning said...

I really like the Leibowitz book. My ex bought it for me one Christmas. She got the house. I kept the book.

MartinP said...

When I saw you mention "Wonderland", I thought that you meant this . .
http://jasoneskenazi.com/wonderland.html

I have the first edition, with its unusual binding, but the second might be more practical for your bookshelves. Recommended.

Wally said...

Nice! I still have a Berlebach tripod set up with a Manffotto 3 way tilt pan head and adapted by me with an Arca Swiss mounting plate!