5.16.2023

The Rumors around the launch of a Leica Q3 are expanding quicker than Takata airbags.




The public spaces at Seaholm in downtown Austin have an area covered with nice shade trees. A nice place to sit outside on a hot day and have a cool drink with a friend. And until very recently they had beautiful little café tables in different pastel colors. They were small and spare and minimalist. Just the way we like small tables here at VSL. Sadly, one day, they were just gone, and replaced by these 1970s referenced ugly as F tables. All of them feature a ghastly green finish and all the chairs are cabled to the chairs for that added touch of urban paranoia. Public life on a downward slide...

Across the web I'm starting to see everyone referencing the imminent launch of the latest Leica "Q". Destined to be called, if we believe the web, the Q3. I guess it's time to update and upgrade but I was just settling in to the Q2 and no one has come close to cobbling together anything to rival it so I'm not sure why Leica is in a hurry to push out yet another camera... but let's take a look at the rumors.

The exterior of the camera is supposed to be a dead ringer for the current camera....at first sight. But in a gigantic and earth-shattering departure from Leica's usual design ethos of structural integrity over popular feature spread it looks like they might be going with a flippy screen for the rear LCD panel. Not a swivel-ly screen. Just a flippy screen. I don't need one. I didn't ask for one but I guess I could get used to it in a pinch. I imagine enough "street" photographers like to shoot surreptitiously, from the waist level, and so the addition of this capability will be seen as a plus by them. Personally, I like that there are fewer pieces  to break off on the first two iterations of the camera. LCD screens that move around are one of the mechanical parts that fails most often on other camera brands. I just happen to be a fan of structural rigidity and simplicity...

The next big change seemed destined to arrive at Leica from the moment Sigma launched their fpL camera. It's the inclusion of a 61 megapixel imaging sensor which also includes (for the first time on a Leica camera) PDAF. I suppose this means that we'll see two effects. One good for advertising and one a headache for the Wetzlar marketing team. The first effect (the bad one) we might confront is that very few of the current Leica lenses, or Panasonic lenses were designed to take advantage of PDAF and might not be able focus any faster or better than on the older cameras, which are contrast detect AF only. On the other hand, given that the AF system will be brand new and only needs to be integrated with a permanently attached, single focal length lens, I think we'll see much hyperbole about the "fastest AF camera in the world." At least until some enterprising website does an A/B comparison to disprove the marketing hype. 

But wait! There's more. 

If we can believe the "leaks" the camera will be the first of the Q series to feature either wireless charging (not thinking this is so great....) or charging through USB (which I think is a good idea). Either way, users will be able to charge the battery without removing it from the camera. And what a battery it is supposed to be. The new battery is compatible with the current battery across the line of SL cameras and the latest Q2. The big news is that (as Panasonic improved two years ago) the battery will now be more powerful. Something like 2100 milli-amp hours, up from 1800. It's not a dramatic increase but I'll take any increase in battery life they can give us. I just hope it doesn't come packaged with an excuse to raise the price of batteries to $325 from $285. The current price is already in the realm of sinister capitalist fantasy. I hope it doesn't spread.

I haven't read it yet but I can't believe Leica would launch a Q3 in 2023 without increasing the EVF resolution to what has become standard across the SL line. That would be just a hair shy of 6 million dots. And that would be a worthwhile improvement. It would move the EVF from pretty darn good to spectacular and I can only think the standardization of parts would benefit...everyone.

All of this Germanic magic and craftiness in one small box is supposed to hit the market, according to the shadowy sources on the internet, by the end of this month. But par for the course I'm sure Leica will have made a couple hundred copies at the outset in an attempt to fill thousands of orders. After all, the Q series has been their most successful seller in the digital space. Why would they want to satisfy all consumer demand in the first week, month or even year of the launch? Inconceivable. If they stretch it out they can milk the desire for years to come... ... ... 

So, will I get one? That's an unknowable question. If past trajectory gives us any sort of launch target I'm sure I'll eventually get one. Maybe five years from now when it's long in the tooth and prices have stabilized. Maybe in the next quarter if the markets don't crash. Maybe never if I can convince myself that the current Q has more than enough resolution, focuses quickly enough and with complete accuracy for my needs, and if I can convince myself that the addition of a flippy screen is an aberration and that making the decision to shamelessly appeal to the masses Leica will have ensconced the Q2 as the last super quality contender in the space. More robust and well sealed than its successor and blessed with a sensor that is the perfect compromise between noise performance and resolution. Then I'll just buy a second Q2 to have as a back up and go on with life. You can't have too many Q2s. And you can interpret that two different ways.

I'm happy though that Leica keeps making and marketing new cameras. It gives the Sony and Canon users among my group of photographer friends something more to tease me about. And the prices keep imparting a subtle frisson between my rationale brain and the bigger, more robust, impulsive shopper part of my brain which is...enervating. Oh hell. You see where this is going, right?

Are you now lining up to pre-order one at your favorite Leica dealer? Should I try to beat you to the punch? Or maybe we should just all go out for another walk. 

Banal melange of 1970s buildings. Now made chic through the passage of time and the 
diminishing of architectural taste in general.

As a home owner I have come to think of drainage as being holy. A must have.

Stereo dinner jackets.


I'm loving the strength training. It's fun to go to the gym. It's funny to watch jacked up/pumped up guys strut in front of the mirrored wall and check out their own biceps. It's funnier to watch the young women take selfies in the mirrors of their own butts. But it's mostly fun to lift the weights, do the machines and then, two days later, feel the results in the pool. Stronger means more stability in the strokes and that translates into either more speed or more endurance. Mostly your choice. 

My goal is to build swim strength, not abnormal muscle size. So far I have resisted any desire to photograph my own butt with my cell phone in between sets. We live in an insane world. Really. But, as Lao Tzu once said, "People are gonna people." 


13 comments:

JC said...

None of that is really necessary on the Q3. What is necessary is a fixed short zoom --say 28-75 or 85. A little wide, long enough for portraits, and compact. That would make it an eminently practical non-Veblen goods camera.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Most of the stuff rumored is unnecessary. But I take the tack that the camera is perfect just as is. A zoom would make it bigger and heavier and I'd rather have this one be just right. I think Leica needs to make a smaller SL and equip that with a short zoom. Thinking along the lines of a reciprocal to the Panasonic S5ii and maybe a 35-70mm f4.0 that's amazingly sharp.

Biro said...

For me, a Q3 (at least as rumored) would be one of those "nice to have" toys but not a must-have.

For one thing, the Q2's role in my kit is not video. So do I really need phase-detection autofocus? I haven't any issues with the Q2 in terms of AF.

A higher resolution viewfinder might also be nice. But if a Q3 is so equipped, I'll bet a bigger battery won't mean more shots per charge. That's because high-resolution EVFs tend to use more power. And some high-res EVFs tend to kick down to a lower resolution during certain processes - like burst shooting.

The Q2 is damn-near perfect and it and my CL will serve me just fine for a few years. At least I tell myself these things because I probably can't afford a Q3. Still waiting for that new APS-C camera for L-mount from Panasonic, though!! 😉

Anonymous said...

Is that an Audi Q3 parked in front of the buildings in the second photo?

MARK L said...

Hi, Well my original 24mp Q just keeps going, the focus is fine for me as I never use continuous tracking, the resolution is fine for my 12x16in prints and I'm just going to keep working it hard until it falls to pieces.
Still my everyday walk around and travel camera, and the batteries match my Sigma Fp and cost nearly nothing.
It's not worth a lot now so I don't need to be precious with it, quite liberating really. Makes great mono conversions too, actually I prefer the bigger pixels.
All the best, Mark

Bob A. said...

A new Leica Q3 is great news for the Lecia Q series of cameras. I have a Leica Q-P, a sleek matte black finish body without the red dot, and a Leica Q2. I use the Q-P for 28mm photos and the Q2 cropped for 35mm photos. A very satisfying Leica “two-some”.

Robert Roaldi said...

Re drainage. Why aren't laundry rooms, especially those in high rises, mandated to have floor drainage? Why, in condos and apartments everywhere, are washing machines placed in areas that leak damaging water to the floors below when they break. And they break all the time. Everyone I've ever known who lived in a building like that had at least one story to tell about it happening to them or to someone in the building.

What is wrong with us.

acheekymonkey said...

I came for the Q3 but I'm gonna comment on the lifting. I'm loving the weights again also. It's been essential rehab from sciatica from what was probably a bulging disc. After being immobile I will never again complain about running! Mobility is a gift. Also the loss of muscle tissue as a natural part of the aging process, aka sarcopenia, is no joke. Weights will a part of my routine until I'm six feet under.

Anonymous said...

Kirk

I have a couple comments, that make the rumors undesirable to some of us.

PDAF focusing my not be desirable to people primarily interested in landscape photography. When converted to B&W the PDAF pixel locations can become visible in subjects with even tones, such as a blue sky.

For those of us with bad knees and a desire to make photos with a portrait orientation from a low (high) point of view, a tilt-swivel screen (a la the Lumix G9) is a requirement. A fixed or simple swivel screen is a waste of effort.

PaulB

Anonymous said...

Just back from a Viking Rhine cruise, where I saw ... REAL LIVE CAMERA STORES! Long street-facing windows loaded to the gills with examples of all the great cameras you've written about the last couple years, including the prominently displayed red "L." My wife laughed as I ignored the tour guide and aimed straight for that candy store.

adam said...

generally seems like there are deals to be had on q2's, £3700 used vs £5000 new here, so I imagine the q3's will be similar

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Adam, time to buy up a bunch of Q2s!

adam said...

I'd forgotten about the crazed leica owners, I had about a nanosecond once to get a hassleblad mirrorless at half price when they discontinued it, hesitated because they didn't have any cheaper lenses at the time