12.13.2018

In a most curious set of circumstances a Fujifilm X-H1 joins the inventory here at the Visual Science lab H.Q.


It seems, sometimes, that intentionality drives the universe. But maybe everything is merely coincidental. I started my day yesterday pulling stuff together in the studio/office that I planned on giving away, donating or trading at my local camera store. I figured that if the guys at Precision Camera even just valued my collection of antiquated light stands, extra tripods (both video and otherwise) as well as a large collection of modifiers and more or less unused Pelican cases, by the pound I'd at least walk away with some pocket change. Maybe enough for a Big Mac and a shake; with a little cajoling I might even get enough for Super-sized french fries....

I handed off a tripod to a long time friend who would best appreciate it (he can be very old school about technique). I handed off one of those Tenba stand cases that opens up in the studio to present a "wall of stands" but when zipped together will keep stands and tripods safe, even from the airline baggage handlers. Everything else went to the camera store and, after three trips back and forth from the car, I had a pile of gear stacked up in front of the rental/trade-in/repair department.

My "advisor" who would value the gear left me to my own devices and, of course, I was drawn to the cases housing the used gear. I never mind buying from these guys because they are good about checking out used gear before putting it on the shelves. They also have a generous return policy that goes a long way toward taking the angst out of surrendering ever more money for our hobby/profession.

Before I go on I have to go back 24 hours and set the stage. I'd just read Michael Johnston's long Paean to the X-H1 model on his site, here, and he left me salivating to try one. Everything he wrote resonated with me about the handling and overall design of the camera. When I got home I saw that I had a message from an old friend who happens to work at Fujifilm. He was calling because he reads the blog and wanted to see how I was getting along with the X-T3. I grilled him mercilessly about the X-H1. He told me over and over again that the video and overall imaging quality of the X-T3 was better but I dug my heels in and kept coming back to ....... image stabilization. He finally relented and agreed that if I wanted a Fuji camera with image stabilization this was it. But he did advise me to get more batteries and to be sure and get the battery grip!!! I thanked him for his candor and moved on to other tasks.

Later in the afternoon I read some of the comments about the X-H1 on Michael's blog: TheOnlinePhotographer, and that's where my momentary fascination ended. At least for the day.

Getting back to yesterday (this is getting confusing...and I was there!). I was standing in front of the Fuji used case and there it was. For the first time I can remember there was a minty condition H-H1 with the battery grip and the little vestigial flash they've been including with their fleshless cameras.
The price was amazingly low. I had my sales guys grab it off the shelf for me and I claimed it as my own. During the transaction process they store staff was already fielding calls for the camera since it had just recently hit their website.

The trade-in guys came back and proposed a value for my collection of studio build up and I walked out of the store having paid a little more than $500 for a camera and accessories that I had, the day before, contemplated spending at least three times as much for.

We'll see in the days to come if the camera is as good as MJ thinks it is but I can tell you two things right now: 1. It gets pissy if you use older, non-"S" type batteries (it shows the battery symbol of the older batteries in yellow and the new ones in white....) and the mechanical shutter is the quietest and most gentle shutter I have ever experienced. To paraphrase the line Rene Zellweger delivers in the movie, "Jerry MacGuire", "you had me at 'click'......

More to come. Right now I'm finishing up the last of the post processing on my month long job venturing around America's hinterlands and I'm also heading down to Austin for the Holiday Party at my dad's memory care facility this afternoon/evening.

Yesterday I wanted a Fuji X-H1 but didn't want to spend the money. Today I have the camera and still have most of the money I didn't want to spend. I know I'm just rationalizing but it feels like a win...

25 comments:

Kirk Tuck said...

Tired of buying camera bodies. Do any of you Fuji shooters have suggestions for cool lenses. I think you know what I already have. The 3 fujicrons, the kit 18-55mm and the 55-200mm. If you can make a case for any of the others I'm all ears.

John Merlin Williams said...

Kirk,

The 27mm "pancake" is an ideal traveling, out-and about, companion for your X-E2 & 3. I have one, and also have the 18mm f2, the latter (28mm equiv.) being the focal length that I've always been partial to. But when leaving the house, I hold the two in my hands and more often than not, the 27mm goes on an X-E1 because it is just so enticingly compact on the X-E bodies.

As a wise photographer once observed "Sometimes you just want a new "beater-cam" to take with you when you know it might rain, camera might get banged around, etc. You know; a camera you like but don't care about..."

Jack said...

I'm not able to comment on any cool lenses for Fuji bodies. My real point in commenting here is to complain that you're not helping me avoid the XH1. (I made the same case on TOP.)

I need (want?) IBIS and don't want (though I'm weakening in this) another camera brand (e.g., Panasonic) in the bag.

So I'll be watching this blog (as always) to see what you think. In the mean time, I'll be looking for stuff to trade to get the price near $500. (Fat chance!)

Great deal on trading stuff you aren't using and that is occupying space for something you likely will use. My kind of deal!

Cheers

RiverdogsCrossing said...

Kirk, the 56 1.2 is the best portrait lens that I have used, and the 90mm is the sharpest XF lens. But my favorite is the 14mm 2.8. It stands in the shadows of the rave reviews of the 16mm, but it is so much fun and is getting a lot more time on my Fuji cameras (XPro2 and XH1).

Dave Jenkins said...

I think you’re pretty well fixed for the kinds of work you do. When the 16-80 comes out I will definitely get one, and I would expect you will too.

sixblockseast said...

I don't have them but have heard good things about the 80mm and 90mm Fuji lenses. Also the much cheaper Rokinin 85mm.

MikeR said...

Intentionality has some cred, in my experience.

Off-topic: What's your reaction to Apple building a new campus in Austin, and adding 5,000-15,000 new jobs &/or people?

scott kirkpatrick said...

I really liked the 16/1.4 that Fuji offers, but I know that's not really your style. Also the 100-400 with IS, very smooth handling.

FoToEdge said...

I have been waiting 5 years for just a Plain Old Stabilized 16-80mm F/4 Fujifilm lens for my X-E1, X-T1 and X-T2. I have used the 18-135mm Fujifilm lens during this time all most every day and do like it, but it is just not wide enough for interiors and big city street pictures.

Anonymous said...

Kirk,
Two lens I would point to:
The 12mm Rokinon if you like wide angle photography. Great for landscape.
The Fuji 27mm, a fun walkabout lens even if one already has the Fujicrons
Here a video from a working photog on the 27mm lens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZim6cMDcWA

Anonymous said...

Are you and MJ behind the new huge X-H1 discounts at Adorama: body for $1649 plus a $400 gift certificate, and $1949 plus a $500 gift certificate for body and grip? Fuji madness!!!

Rick

David Bateman said...

Niw that you have the Fuji bug, what about testing out the 50R?

David said...

Oh the slippery slope of Fuji gear.
Well the 50-140 with a constant aperture of 2.8 sits nicely in the traditional 70-200 range on 35mm. I remember my first Canon 70-200 with IS, and how it left my other Canon lenses for dead.
This Fujinon version is as far ahead again. Quite a bit heavier than the 55-200, but still nicely balanced and not so heavy it can't be used for 3 hours hand held at a stretch. I rotate the tripod mount to the top for carrying.
I have only a few primes, so can't speak for the entire Fuji range, but the 50-140 is at least as sharp. But more importantly the contrast, detail handling or what ever you want to call it is beautiful.
Wander down to Precision Cameras with the T3 and borrow one. Do a few portraits of the staff there. Wander round the block and photograph some buildings. Return the lens and go home and leisurely look through the files over a really good coffee. Weep.

Patrick Dodds said...

If you and Mike would stop going on about the X-H1 it would help me immensely - Mike's review had me going to a camera shop in London today to try one out; having not bought it I thought I might be safe but here you are this evening tempting me again. It's not even as if I really need it...

Nigli said...

I umm-ed and err-ed quite a bit when I was going to buy a Fujifilm zoom and in the end went for the 16-55 f2.8. It's not cheap but I am happy with it. It gives me my favourite angles of view and works well at the long end. I also have the 18 f2, which is 'my' home lens FOV, at about 75 degrees (I've read you don't find this a great lens length, yay! diversity!). My next lens would have to include something with a FOV around 20-25 degrees, but that'll wait. I'd really like a 50-100 zoom, but I'm probably the only one.

CWM said...

Some lenses focus a bit slow, but other than that, I've enjoyed every lens from Fuji that I've had the opportunity to shoot with. Here are three that are different from what has already been discussed that I would highly recommend:

- Fuji 10-24mm is a great zoom super-wide that also gives you a 36mm (FF equivalent) at the long end. Also includes IS which very few lenses in this range have.
- Zeiss Touit 32mm f/1.8 is closer to the 45mm FF view that I prefer vs. the 35mm Fuji's. Also, just a wonderful lens from wide open to diffraction. I list this in the unlikely event that you find a used one at your Austin dealer. I bought it for a great price. Would've passed at anywhere near retail. Glad I found it ...used as much as any other x-mount lens I have.
- Fuji 80mm Macro f/2.8 is a tad long given your desire for a 70mm. Still, a great lens with IS and much preferred (by me) over the 60mm.

Also, I have the 55-200 and love it except for the size of the lens hood. Highly recommend getting a much shorter screw in metal hood. Now, I just leave it on without having to reverse the hood each time. The biggest advantage is how much shorter the lens is during use. Much more manageable.

Dano said...

I am confused. I was under the impression that you felt stabilization was not something you needed with Fuji cameras.

Anonymous said...

I wanted wide angle but wasn't willing to spend $2000 for the Fuji 8-16 2.8 zoom plus another $1200 in the larger filters it would require vs the Lee 100 filters I already own...so I bought the Laowa 9mm 2.8 Fuji XF mount manual lens for $450 USD plus tax and a step-up filter ring for $7...the 9mm is sharp, very small, has front filter threads, manual focus, a rectilinear lens giving very straight lines, and you can focus it very close to the subject and still include a lot of the environment.

Dave

Anonymous said...

Well now you've lost me..... So, you buy the XT3 to get a small form factor APS-C BSI sensor camera which can be paired with some really great performing, lightweight primes and 'pedestrian' zooms (with O.I.S.), only to set aside the smaller form factor, improved battery life and latest BSI sensor technology in order to gain greater size and weight, shorter battery life, and a non-BSI sensor to gain,....... IBIS. I'm curious as to where you are going with this. You would know better than I, but I'm not (yet) convinced IBIS is actually necessary if not doing video work, so are the Lumix siblings being slated for retirement?
I like the XH-1, but wish it were smaller and had (at a minimum)the battery life of my XT3. So, if you're going bigger (particularly w/the grip), why not just jump all in and get the excellent 16-55 f/2.8, and its larger mate the 50-140 f/2.8? All your portrait and theatre work is covered in addition to having a very capable video platform.

~Ron

Ash said...

The 35mm 1.4 is sprinkled in fairy dust! Somehow, photos of people made with this lens turn out magical.
Its also a bit noisy & cranky with the focusing, but that is forgiven when you see the images.

Michael Matthews said...

You clearly need more shelf space. Push the FZ2500 off the edge. I’ll catch it.

dinksdad said...

Have you checked out Omar Gonzalez's YouTube channel? Very entertaining. He mostly talks about the XT-20 but also goes into Fuji lenses.

Anonymous said...

Keep functioning ,splendid job!

Travis said...

I would echo the recommendation for the 35 1.4. There's just something about it, and you'll see it the moment you start using it.

Ed Waring said...

Seconding the 35mm 1.4 but I truly love the runt of the litter... the 18mm f2. Teeny and convenient and I've taken some of my favourite photos with it. Adobe makes it soft in the corners but the one time this bothered me a round trip of the raw to Irrident Transformer with distortion correction turned off made it all good. And one I don't own but only hear great things about is the Samyang/Rokinon 12mm F2. It's been on my list for AGES and probably next purchase. Both available very cheaply second hand!