12.09.2018

Sometimes you just want a new "beater-cam" to take with you when you know it might rain, camera might get banged around, etc. You know; a camera you like but don't care about....


Sometimes people's agonizing desire for a brand new camera is a mystery to me. I wonder what they have at home, in the moment, that makes it imperative that their next purchase be a "new in the box" latest thing. I get it if you are working professionally and stumble across a wonderful series of assignments that could be done even better (or easier) with the latest camera model in your brand's line up. Most of the time, though, we're just scratching the itch to buy something. Anything to satisfy that urge to have more. 

You should read this with a grain of salt because even though I resist the "brand new" temptation from time to time I'm as big a victim of reckless desire as anyone else. But that doesn't invalidate my contention that most people want, and should have, a beater camera. A camera that could get accidentally run over by a car and not cause too much grief or inconvenience in your every day life.

I finished up some big jobs recently and I was pleased with both sets of cameras I'd been using. The weather forecasts for Austin were basically calling for a week of rain and general ick. I felt restless and was procrastinating on all fronts. The end of a long string of jobs was giving me something quite rare; a sense of boredom. And when most of us are bored we think about things we can buy and use to alleviate the momentary ennui. 

If you are a regular reader here you probably have read that I'm now flirting (heavily) with the Fuji cameras. I bought an X-T3 and some lenses, liked them and bought some more lenses, and then the growing lens inventory led to the rationalization to have a back up body so I bought an X-E3 (which I  also like). But both the X-T3 and X-E3 are brand new, still shiny and, having been purchased at retail, still feel too new to expose to the elements if fees and paying jobs are not on the line. 

I wanted a used camera that has the same basic menu structure, the same basic color family and which also takes the same Fuji lenses. I remembered seeing five or six X-E1 bodies up at Precision Camera, on the used shelf, that looked to be unbrutalized and still very functional, and they were priced at $199 each. Now that's in line with what I think you might want to spend for a camera whose existential mission is......to potentially be destroyed. So I got in my car and headed north to put my own hands on the inventory and divine which of the five or six bodies emitted the best aura of usability for me. 

I played with them. I played with a Fuji X-Pro-2 (not loving that one....although it's the camera that should be the most interesting...). And then, nestled in the cluster of X-E1s I came across a very well maintained X-E2. It was priced at $295. I leaned on my sales associate and got a slightly better price. I'm sure it bugs him when I do that but I did live in Turkey for two very formative years and I can't bear to buy used stuff without a little bit a ritualistic bargaining....
It's all black except the camera. And the gloves.....


I brought the X-E2 home, charged its battery and read the actual, printed owner's manual cover to cover. Then I put on the 35mm f2.0 lens and went out for walk in the hazy drizzle to see how I like the whole assemblage. I did. 

It's operationally a bit less refined then the model "3" but it's largely speaking the same user language. 
It's sixteen megapixels instead of 24 megapixels but if you've followed the blog for any length of time you'll know that I may consider that a strength rather than a weakness...

Drizzle landed on the camera and lens and I brushed it off and kept shooting. It's a pleasant package and the light weight of the unit makes hauling the X-E2 around a burden-less experience. I like the files I got from the camera and I like using it in the totally manual mode. So, less than $300 bucks for a fully functional, 16 megapixel camera with nice colors in the files. A good beater camera for sure.

And the yellow is nice.























18 comments:

PacNW said...

"It's sixteen megapixels instead of 24 megapixels but if you've followed the blog for any length of time you'll know that I may consider that a strength rather than a weakness..."

I would agree, except for one big thing for me: that means no Acros, and Acros is a big part of why I went with Fujifilm.

From the company, explaining why Acros cannot be added to older cameras with a firmware update:

"The image design of 'ACROS' is only achievable with the resolution of X-Trans CMOS III and the processing power of X-Processor Pro. The fine detail that ACROS achieves is only possible with the resolution power of 24MP. And the complex grain effect is only possible with the powerful X-Processor Pro engine."

https://fujifilm-x.com/global/stories/the-newest-film-simulation-acros/

Enjoy the fun new camera.

Unknown said...

I like your Idea here Kirk. The XE2 is a great little performer and don't forget it has a pop-up flash (missing on XE3).

ODL Designs said...

I guess that is one of the downsides of being promiscuous with camera brands, you don't have any older cameras to throw around :)

I gave Zachary (my 7 year old) my ep2 (my first m43rds cam) and use the em5 as my beater while the em5.2 and em1.2 I am a bit more careful with as I use them for paying work.

I am enjoying your exploring the Fuji system!

Dave Jenkins said...

If Precision has a 27mm f2.8 in their case, ask if you can try it. I think it's the perfect lens for a carry-around camera.

sixblockseast said...

I expect my X-T10 may become my beater-cam when I finally upgrade to X-T3, which I fully intend to do sometime in 2019. Looking forward to it.

Travis said...

I've kept my old X-E1, since I bought it new years ago, as my "beater" camera. It's worth so little at this point that there's no reason to sell it, and I won't cry if something happens to it. That latter bit means I actually use it quite a bit, sometimes more often than my weather-sealed "T" body. :)

Jack said...

The EX2 is a tad larger than the EX3, which is the opposite way I wanted the size to change. I suspect that Fuji shrank the XE3 to avoid further shrinking of the XPRO's market (I've no facts here, I just not a fan of the XPRO's viewfinder).

While I enjoy using the XE3, the smaller size caused me to get a grip (at last, some would say).

Cheers



Frank Langford said...

There are some bargains around if you look.I found a unused Panasonic GF5 with the 14-42 " Kit lens " for £10 .00 about 12 USD. Works well with the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 mk2

Anonymous said...

I bought my XE2 new but had so much trouble trying to get sharp pictures of the Grandkids indoors I was tempted to turn it into a beater. I had to find a workaround for the laggy inaccurate focus and the somewhat plastic look of skin tones before I liked that camera. I take it that the current models are much improved.

Anonymous said...

You lived in Turkey.
The home of Bob Wills in Texas? Or the Nation?
Either way, one of these days go to Turkey, Texas with your camera. From fire hydrants to windows on Main street it is a visual treat.

Anonymous said...

I can never do the megapixel math. Does 24mp in an APS-C cameras mean that the pixels are about the same physical size at the 21mp of an m4/3?

John Camp

kirk tuck said...

It was Turkey, the country. My dad was stationed at Incirlik for two years. We came along for the ride. Incredibly fun for a young person....

kirk tuck said...

John, I think you are on the right track. There's a site that compares camera sensors by pixel size etc. It's here: https://www.digicamdb.com

Eric Rose said...

My beater digi camera is either my Nikon D70s or a Panasonic GX1 with Pany 20mm lens. The GX1 is an amazing little camera.

Dano said...

Kirk
Several years ago you posted a piece on how to optimize images from a camera with a 1” sensor. For those of us that have a crop sensor I believe it would be helpful if you would update that post. Thanks

crsantin said...

I don't pay my bills with my photography so I don't need the latest and the greatest. All my cameras are beater cameras. A few years ago I lost a Nikon P7100 when I handed it to a relative to take a group shot and she promptly dropped it, lens down, and it shattered. Last year I lost an RX100 that I bought used for very little when I spilled my water bottle all over it. No big deal. I love used gear and I really love small cameras. I do my best work with a little camera so used and cheap is ideal for me. Same with lenses for my bigger bodies. If one of my cameras gets stolen or ruined I'm not apoplectic about it. I don't really worry about megapixels so much, 10 or 12 is plenty.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is really
informative. I am going to watch out for brussels.
I'll appreciate if you continue this in future. Many people
will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

My brother recommended I might like this blog. He was entirely right.
This post truly made my day. You cann't imagine just how
much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!