3.28.2019

I mentioned lens testing the other day. Today I decided to find out if the longer end of the Fuji 100mm to 400mm zoom was really......meh. Or not.

(click on the images to see them bigger)

There is a lot of misinformation out here on the web. If you take it too seriously you'll either miss some good opportunities or you'll fall flat on your face. I mentioned in a previous post that most reviewers of lenses (exceptions being people with test benches and people who know how to use them or people with decades of experience using all manner of lenses professionally) have the manufacturer of the lens they are interested in testing (for affiliate clicks) send them a lens to "test" for a week. In amongst their many weekly chores, such as answering comments, having coffee, buying small hats, grooming their beards, attending manufacturer's press junkets and making Vlogs, they may take the lens (without updating firmware in either camera or lens) out for a few hours of shooting. They'll take along whomever they are dating at the time to serve as a model. Then, with a coffee in one hand and a camera in the other they will proceed to (vaguely) handhold the camera and the test lens at ridiculously slow shutter speeds (with an almost religious belief in the supreme power of image stabilization technologies) and then shoot at whatever catches their eyes. In some instances I believe that they just point the camera randomly and keep the shutter button pressed down, hoping to fix up whatever they manage to get on their memory cards in post production (which they insist on calling "editing."). 

You can see where I'm going with this, right? Their methodologies, honed by weeks of experience, might work okay if testing is being done on wide angle lenses; maybe even medium focal length lenses but as they zoom inward toward the longest focal lengths the ever magnifying angle of view shows up more and more of their bad/awful/faulty technique. Which they then blame on the "poor imaging qualities" of the long ends of (nearly every) telephoto zoom lensed they test. 

I have read in several places about the long end of the Fujifilm 100-400mm lens being somewhat "soft." I thought I'd better test the copy I got last week in the unlikely case that the less capable testers might have gotten it right just this once. I wanted to find out any bad news while I was still able to return the lens for a refund.

I shots some frames with the lens bolted to an XH-1 which was bolted to the biggest, strongest tripod Gitzo makes. I aimed at targets with lots of fine detail; targets which themselves were immobile. The lens was nicely sharp at the longest focal length, even when used wide open. So that became the gold standard for my tests. I might have been able to slightly improve my results by using the camera's self timer but I was satisfied (for my uses) with what I was getting in these studio test conditions. I could have made the images even sharper had I used short duration electronic flash for everything..... but that's a digression. 

My next test was to go outside and shoot the lens the way I might normally use it. And the way even the most inept web-tester might use it. I put the same camera and lens on a Leica monopod and headed to the Pfluger Pedestrian Bridge that spans Lady Bird Lake. I put the camera in aperture priority, chose the wide open aperture (f5.6 at 400mm), AF-C, and proceeded to photograph people as they biked, walked, scootered (is that how we say it?) and jogged across the bridge. Almost every frame was shot at the longest focal length of 400mm. The exceptions were the grouping of downtown building shots (taken from about half a mile away) that start at 100mm and go in steps out to 400mm, just so you can see the range. 

It was a two coffee day for me but the monopod neutralized the overall effects of caffeine poisoning fairly well. While none of the frames are absolutely perfect I would chalk that up to the fact that it was my first real outing with the lens and I've previously confessed to not using the longer focal lengths too often. Click on the images and see what you think. 

Could they be improved? Yes! I could stop down to f8 or f11 and I'm sure I'd pick up a bit of sharpness as a result. I could ask everyone to stop moving so I could carefully manually focus, etc. But the bottom line is my studio results told me what the potential of this lens is and this test outside shows me what I can expect in non-studio, actual environmental use might be. Would I buy the lens again? Yeah. 

After further thought and evaluation this morning I thought I'd add this: Besides being sharp all over the zoom range of this lens I should mention two other things; first, the lens is really lightweight and compact for the range it covers and the speed it offers. You can actually handhold this lens if you have to. You won't get the sharpness you'd get using it on a monopod or tripod but you won't get it from any other lens in this range either. Secondly, I didn't mention how good the image stabilization is. Beyond just taking out the jitters we humans add to the equation the I.S. steadies the viewfinder image which makes it easier, at longer focal lengths, to more effectively compose the image. At up to 250mm (estimated) I can get sharp images, free from camera shake, if I use the I.S. and take my time to let the system settle and for my breathing to settle. Might want to skip the extra cup of coffee if your intention (with any lens) is to rely on I.S. for long focal length, handheld shots.....

All I.S. systems take time to settle. Don't rush. 



















































14 comments:

amolitor said...

I love that one of the two Bros, each with his own ball.

Anonymous said...

This lens is a keeper (IMHO), amazing really for 400mm @ f5.6. Maybe not a direct comparison, but do you remember your previous darling Oly 40-150mm F2.8 - how does it stack up against Fuji, do you recall it's attributes? I remember you praised highly. Was TC 1.4 ever used to bring to 210mm F4?

MikeR said...

"buying small hats"

Is that a thing?

Frank Grygier said...

Forget the lens. The images tell a great story of life on the bridge.

Mitch said...

I am not now nor have I ever been one who purchases nor wears little hats. Those years of wearing a little sweat protector European thing under my cycling "helmet" of the day does not count. However:

The real test of tests for me is shooting lenses and cameras under the murky sickly artificial light that is now installed in indoor ballrooms and the ante chambers to those ballrooms where Business Events take place. Sometimes I have to shoot those available light. I always have to focus and compose via available light at those.

Gives me a good idea of how far you can take the lens or camera. And exposes weaknesses in lens contrast, or sensor performance, by the challenge of flat and poor quality, low volume lighting that is often a sliver of the spectrum. Very little in a longer range rivals a Nikon 200 F2. Not everything has to. Many produce acceptable enough results that can be taken to a further point in post that results in positive cash flow.

Mitch said...

If you search around enough you will find small hats and the de rigeur even-smaller-dog combined with everything at 1.4 exposed for the shadows. Now excuse me, I have to go holler at some kids on my lawn. Probably keeping their ball this time ...

Michael Matthews said...

Looking great when clicked through to view large on an iPad. Not great at the original blog-size view, but then you knew that. Those of us who are camera nonbuyers eagerly await your conclusions on Fuji vs. Panasonic/Olympus. It keeps us all a-twitter (small “t”), knowing for sure that someday we will hit the lottery. Hopefully while still functional.

Kirk Tuck (world's greatest blog admin). said...

I remember the Olympus 40-150mm Pro lens very, very well. It may be one of the finest lenses ever made for micro four thirds cameras. It's amazing. Why would you think that I would forget about a lens I was playing with only a week or so ago (and writing about)? Do I recall its attributes? Yes. And, finally, no I never use teleconverters. I don't believe in them.

Kirk Tuck (world's greatest blog admin). said...

Oh yes. Small hat. Very much a hipster thing. Just google: Jason Lanier

Kirk Tuck (world's greatest blog admin). said...

It's a wonderful bridge. I like shooting stuff there. A lot.

Doug said...

Kirk: My copy of the 100-400 is very, very sharp at 5.6 and ridiculously sharp ay 8 when used on a good monopod. The contrast and chromatic aberration performance are great, as well. Now that I've upgraded to an X-T3 from an X-T1, I'm frankly amazed by my results. The only thing ever limiting me is my technique. The failure is never the lens itself. And the OIS and AF are also outstanding. Just my experience.

Craig Yuill said...

Good on you for ignoring the conventional "wisdom" about a product, and coming to your own conclusions. You are absolutely correct that correct technique, and even a bit of extra support, is needed to get the best out of a super-telephoto lens. (I have been using such lenses for bird photography for 20 years or so.) Photographers who are haven't taken photos with such a lens don't understand that even with the best lens-stabilization systems it is important to hold the lens as steady as possible, and not allow it to wobble around too much when getting a shot. You definitely get that - and you got some nice, sharp photos out of that "soft" lens.

For any VSL readers that still have Canon, Nikon, or Sigma DSLRs, the Sigma 100-400mm C lens is gaining a reputation as a good (and economical) lens of this type. I recently bought one, and have been very pleased so far with my purchase.

Rick said...

I see what you did there with the first and final images. Nicely done. :-)

Your post primarily reminds me of how very much I'm ready for warm weather, which is an odd thing to write from California. The lens seem nice but what hits home is the vibrant setting.

Zave Shapiro said...

I'm so glad to see you back. I just happened to click on the bookmark to your blog and there you are! At 400mm! Thanks for finding the energy to keep up.