3.24.2019

OT: Can you help me with an ethical issue?

Kirk with light meter, ca. 2007.
My photo (above) has nothing to do with my conundrum described below.

Nothing as easy as whether or not to use a light meter...

When I had my studio built just in front of my house we installed a window air conditioning unit about eight feet up on the west wall. There was not a pre-existing window; we designed the opening specifically for the air conditioning unit. We made it a bit wide so we could have some flexibility when choosing replacement units. I'm now on my third air conditioner and it fits into the space with about five inches to spare on each side. There is a sill that runs under the air conditioner...

Well, over the winter months, during the time during which I don't use the air conditioner, I wasn't paying attention and it seems that an enterprising finch (small bird) has built a nest just to the side of the unit that is least visible. The next is amazingly well done and cozy. The entrance faces straight out and there is a rounded roof that offers the bird some protection from the rain. It's too high up for cats or raccoons to reach and in most regards it's a perfect location for a bird. And in bird nests as in all other real estate ventures the secret is: location, location, location. 

I met the bird the other day. I was looking up at the nest and she poked her head out to see what the hell I was doing. She flew away but she's been back. 

So here's the issue: Right now the weather is mild and cool. The studio has two big windows on one wall and four big windows on another wall and, in conjunction with a nice fan, I can probably use the office with no air conditioning for a while longer into the Spring. But temperatures in the 90's are just around the corner and by May temperatures in the upper 90's should be routine. 

At some juncture I'll have to turn the AC on to stay comfortable while working on my masterpiece, nano-acutance photographs, or I'll need to cool the studio for a visiting client/customer. Providing no air conditioning in Austin should be the perfect way to bring any studio business to a screeching halt. 

But what is my responsibility to this bird and,  perhaps, a burgeoning family of finches? I'd hate to drive them away from a nearly perfect nest by subjecting them to the roar of an air conditioner and, if they stay, I'll feel guilt and remorse for potentially deafening their delicate offspring. I guess I could close the studio and go on vacation until such a time when they are through nesting but I would like the convenience of using my space to work in, and I might find it constraining to try and edit all my photos and video on a smallish laptop computer outside the studio. 

Had I noticed the construction of the avian condo early on I might have gently deconstructed it and discouraged continued squatting but now I worry that by allowing (even tacitly) the construction to go to completion, and having not previously served them notice, that I have set an ethical precedent which seems to defy an equitable solution. One party or the other (or both, as is usually the case...) will suffer depending on our final solution. 

My sweet friends suggest turning the AC unit on for short periods of time to acclimated the birds to the noise but as I mentioned above I fear for the auditory health of the bird and her offspring. My less empathetic friends suggest spraying the nest with a flamethrower....

I want to be a "good guy" in this and would hate to be haunted by the ghost of St. Francis d' Assisi for all eternity....

Perhaps the answer to my poignant dilemma will come from one of you; my sage readers. Can you help?

P.S. The bird seems far too small to eat so my vegan friends need not worry..... 

Thanks in advance, KT

P.P.S. What a nice opportunity it would be to use the new Fuji 100-400mm lens for BIF (hate that acronym) except that the wall on which they've built is about six feet from the wall of our kitchen. Now that I think about it the 8-16mm lens might be a better choice.  

Help?

19 comments:

Frank Grygier said...

Buy a portable air conditioner at Costco. $350.00 and your conscience is clear.

Anonymous said...

Looking up finch nesting habits online, it seems that it takes up to about 2 weeks for the eggs to hatch, and another 2-3 weeks after that for the fledglings to leave the nest. If the nest is already there and fairly new, the finches will likely be gone by about the end of April. Having lived in Texas a long time ago, I reckon you will definitely need the a/c by early May, but if you're lucky with the weather you may be able to hold off on using it until the end of April? If the weather gets really hot well before late April, perhaps do what Frank Grygier suggested? :-D
Ken

Joe Reed said...

You might consider contacting Travis Audubon Society for advice. I'm sure they can offer guidance. Maybe the noise/vibration of the air conditioner wouldn't be a problem for the birds.

Rick Baumhauer said...

First things first, we need to establish that the bird in question is actually a finch and not the very common (English) House Sparrow. The former are native and protected by various treaties and you should avoid disturbing the nest if possible. If it's the latter, they're an introduced non-native species and are not protected - you'd be within your rights to remove the nest, though whether you'd want to if there are already eggs laid is up to you (I probably couldn't unless the nest was a major nuisance, but I'm a very soft touch for all kinds of animals). Does the bird you saw have a plain, light brown underside (House Sparrow), or is it lighter with streaks of brown (House Finch)?

In any case, you are looking at a few weeks from egg-laying to fledging of the youngsters, after which you could remove the nest and modify the space to discourage further nesting attempts. Or, you could decide you like the company and go the portable AC route.

MikeR said...

If the bird actually is a house sparrow, I find that they have the dogged persistence of squirrels trying to establish their home in your attic. Resist, for their increased population will lead to more nests in even more inconvenient locations. They make a pretty sloppy nest, as well.

No, I don't hate birds. My home is circled by feeders and nesting boxes, and part of my garage is dedicated to four different kinds of feed, purchased in 25 pound sacks.

J Williams said...

You can get air conditioners that go inside your studio and vent their hot air out thru a hose that you can route thru a window. They come with an expandable panel that can be adjusted to the windows width and then you just bring the window sash down on top of them.

I actually prefer these to traditional window or built into the wall type setups. You could get one and use it either as a temproary source or maybe you like it better and use it as a primary instead. Even if you keep it around for a spare, the next time the wall one goes out you won't have to run out and get another one.

I use one of these as a supplemental air conditioner in my office which is situated in room over our garage that is always a few degrees hotter than the rest of the house. Works great and is easy to relocate if I need to for some reason.

Dave Jenkins said...

Our home is festooned with bird feeders and swallows make their nest under our eaves every year, so we're very familiar with this problem. If the bird has not yet laid her eggs, remove the nest and modify the site so that she cannot build there in the future. If she has laid eggs, wait until they hatch and the fledglings leave the nest, then remove the nest and modify the site to prevent future building.

Unknown said...

I'm guessing that the bird in question is a House Finch (the mother streaked gray-brown, with no strong markings on her head (for photos see https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/House_Finch), because House Sparrows typically nest in cavities, not on ledges. The length of time that Ken mentioned in the first comment might be a bit long, I think times are closer to 12-14 days for incubation, and 10-12 before fledging, but that's still a while...

Moving the nest is an option, but probably only after eggs hatch. Most songbirds seem to be more invested in their nests once there are nestling present, but are more likely to to abandon eggs if disturbed. So, if you were to prepare some sort of new ledge a little away from the air conditioner, on which the nest could be placed, I think this would have a good chance of working when there are nestlings present. House Finches are pretty resilient to disturbance, and around here (upstate New York) will even nest in Christmas wreaths left hanging too long on actively-used doors.

Alex Solla said...

I love that you would even think to reach out to your readership to find a way to resolve this. Sometimes you crack me up. The response that the birds will fledge and be gone is correct. Plus the birds are not endangered. In some areas, they are considered a pest. I'm always glad to see how big your heart is... but for god's sake, dont skimp on the AC in Austin. That would be criminal.

Anonymous said...

All good comments above. Given the fledging timeframe, you should be able to use the A/C unit when you need it without deafening the birds. If these are finches, our experience has been that they will tend to build another nest in the same place in subsequent years, once they have found a congenial spot.

Chip

Fred said...

It looks like you have some good advice here. I agree with checking with the Audubon Society first and then if reasonable to look for auxiliary and bird friendly air conditioning. Having an extra air conditioner in Texas doesn't seem like a bad idea. You will probably get more ideas at swimming practice.

amolitor said...

We had the same trouble in Virginia when we lived there, only with pigeons. I must admit that I could not bring myself to destroy even a pigeon's nest.

On the up side, when the birds leave and you fill in the gap, you will by so doing seal the window off better and make your AC that much more efficient!

David S said...

At a 3 day conference last year I watched a swallow build a nest. A well built nest is a thing of great wonder.
We who have so much, can afford to give a little.
Apart from the ideas above, once the birds are getting ready to fledge you may find the noise doesn't disturb. Or can you run it on a lower setting. Or cool the rest of the house more and put a fan in the studio's doorway to push cold air in. Or set up a temporary studio in your lounge or elsewhere. Clients who don't appreciate that are not worth having.

crsantin said...

I once stayed away from my pool, which I had just opened for the season, for almost 4 weeks because of a Robin's nest that was locate in a tree near my diving board. I didn't want to disturb the babies. Mom and dad were very busy coming and going with worms and bugs for the little ones. I was afraid I would force them out of the next too early if I spooked them, or the parents wouldn't return. So I waited until they left the nest and they all did. One died, but not because of me. At least one of the others still lives in my yard as an adult because I recognize a mark on his wing. Leave them alone if you can, they'll be gone on their own soon enough. Figure out a work around if you can. It was an inconvenience for me but I love animals and birds in the morning are wonderful. I'm happy the Robin that was born in my yard is still with us.

Ronman said...

Hi, Kirk.

If the wall mount A/C unit is of typical design, there will be louvered sides where the air discharges after it has been pulled through the condensing coil. This air will be about 10 ~ 15* warmer than ambient, so it can get pretty warm in the midst of a hot day. Probably not good for your feathered friends even if they are resilient. If you must run the A/C before the birds leave the nest, it's possible to divert the airflow without affecting the performance of the A/C. Fabricate some sheet metal or thin panel of wood and affix it to the side of the A/C where the birds reside. How you attach is can be as creative as you like, but don't put any screws into the A/C cabinet or risk puncturing refrigeration lines. Tuck your temporary panel in tight against the unit nearest the wall, and then angle it outwards towards the back of the unit as you get closer to the condenser coil (which looks like a radiator). You need only a 3 or 4" gap at the wide end for the air to escape. This will keep the hot air from flowing across the nest and dampen some of the noise. Once the little guys are gone simply remove your panel and make the area less inviting for next season. Too bad I'm almost 3,000 miles away or I'd stop by and help you out. I'm an animal lover as well, and you seem like an okay guy, too :)

Margaret Wong said...

Many birds nest more than once in a year, especially in a good season, so keep a careful eye out for when the first lot leave the nest so that you are ready for a quick removal.

Mark said...

As a Birder and a Bird Photographer I am most impressed by your concern. Your readers have given you great advice. This a great opportunity for you to test out your new 100-400mm. Be discreet in case predators are watching, as you don’t want to lead them to the nest. I would be most pleased to help you identify the species. Then we can make a determination as to the length of time for incubation and the time it will take for the young to fledge. Amazingly, most song birds only need about 4-5 weeks after the last egg is laid to leaving the nest.

scott said...

We tend to have great ethical concern for beings we can observe, and none whatsoever for those we cannot. That isn't really ethics. The best possible thing you can do for birds, by far, is boycott birds' corpses. If you do that, you can run the air conditioner without guilt. See here:

https://www.onestepforanimals.org/what.html

Best wishes.

Paul said...

Shotgun, hose, replacement air conditioner should solve the problem 😋