3.27.2019

OT: My iPhone and my dad's 91st birthday.

Dad's favorite table in the dining room at memory care.

I arranged for a pet sitter to hang out with Studio Dog today. The rest of my small family had to go to work. I hopped in my car and headed to San Antonio. Today is my father's 91st Birthday and I wanted to be there to celebrate with him. I got a chocolate cake (his favorite) and my sister shopped for great presents to give him. We had birthday cards to share from friends and relatives. I don't normally take a big camera into his residence because of concern for HIPAA laws but I did take in my iPhone and did a few interviews with my dad as well as documenting him blowing out the candles on his cake. 

I left around three this afternoon. All the big action was over and Dad decided it was time for a nap. I wanted to get home and make a photo gallery to send to my sister and brother. 

It's an ancient iPhone by current standards; a 5S. But it works well enough for most uses...

My dad was happy and well. I can't ask for more. I drove home pretty happy. Indulge me for a few personal images.....


It's rare to see Dad without a hat of some sort. 

And balloons. 



lungs still good enough to blow out candles. 




8 comments:

crsantin said...

91 is a good age. What more can we expect really? I don't expect to see my 90s. Hopefully you get another year with him Kirk.

As for iPhone photography, the new ones really do make nice images. A couple of my students took a few pictures with me. We used one of their new Samsung phones, the fancy ones. They printed some 5x7s to put up in my class room and I have to admit, the pics looks great. I really don't understand how the camera companies are going to be selling cameras to this current generation of teens. There is zero incentive or need for the youngest generation to go out and buy a camera, not now and certainly not when they're 30 and the tech is even better. Maybe that Canon big wig who made the dire prediction wasn't being hyperbolic at all. A lot of photographers laugh at the idea of the phone cam and dismiss them. If you ask me, the digital camera (mirrorless or otherwise) has already started to go the way of film and the film camera. Give it 5 years.

Rewster said...

Still find my iphone 5 more than adequate, so why upgrade. Your dad is 9 years older than I am and hopefully has many years left. Too many folks put off going to a retirement home until too late to enjoy it. Keep on visiting since it reinforces the will to stay healthy.

Fred said...

Kirk, These photos are exactly what they should be and your iphone is in that long line of cameras for family events from George Eastman's first folder to the Hawkeye of my childhood to now.
I'm glad you had a good time with your dad.
Fred

Gato said...

So good that you are able to be there for your father and enjoy time with him. And the photos are great.

Russ Goddard said...

Kirk, I'm so glad you shared this with us. Thank you.

Alan Fairley said...

Kirk, I'm so glad to hear you interviewed your father. One of my great regrets is that I didn't sit down with mine and get his life story on tape or have himgo through the old family pictures and talk about the people and places in them. That kind of record is an incalculable gift for your descendants.
Alan

Not THAT Ross Cameron said...

Indulge away Kirk!
To repeat the above comments, these shots and interviews are absolute gold. Wish I’d taken the time to ask about my dad’s life and forebears before he passed away. I learned more about his history gathering notes and anecdotes for his funeral than in the years before that. I should try to tee it up for mum as she’s approaching a milestone b’day next year.
Cheers.

Eric Rose said...

My sweetie's father passed away on Jan 11 of this year and he was at the ripe old age of 91. Fortunately he was a very devoted journal keeper so about 1.5 years ago he completed a 300 page autobiography. He was also a photographer and painter so much of it was illustrated. We had it printed out by Blurb and each of the close family got a copy. They cherish it!

Enjoy your time with your dad and take lots of photos and recording. You will be happy you did.

Eric