5.13.2022

I couldn't resist. The pricing on the G9 was too good. I'm sure it will be superseded next week by the G10.... Here's my story.


Of all the cameras I regret selling (and there have only been a few whose absence I really feel) the Panasonic G9 is at the top of the list. Lately, here on the blog, I've been sharing photographs and stories about jobs done back in 2018-2020 with a pair of G9s that I bought new. The cameras and also the lenses were very good but I succumbed to the lure of full frame and the G9s were shuffled off in some misguided trade deal. I figured that with the pandemic and the almost total halt to jobs in 2020-2021 that if I didn't sell the older stuff it would be rendered obsolete over time. Of course, I have been wrong many times before.

Recently I bought a GH5ii and also the newer GH6 and I've used both on two larger event projects as well as some smaller portrait sessions. Both are excellent cameras and they are well packed with features but...I made the mistake of casually handling a used G9 at the local camera store and all the nostalgia and good memories of the jobs and personal work done with that camera came flooding back to me. Why? Because the camera is shaped and designed to be just right in my hands and just right, technically, for most of my uses.

I've gone back and forth over the last two weeks, trying to decide if I really needed to re-invest in one of the new G9s the store had in inventory or if I was letting emotion cloud my fiscal judgement. But you know the story, emotion easily trumped the logical part of my brain and I let my favorite camera "consultant" at my local store know that I was seriously considering restocking the camera --- mostly for old time's sake but also because I am convinced that once they exit the market that design and configuration will disappear as well. And then I'll want one and they'll be gone.

I called earlier in the week to check on pricing. There's a general sale going on across most of the USA dealers that dropped the price from $1299 to $997. I continued to mull over the my state of need, the health of the stock market, my latest property appraisal and the price of unleaded gas. 

Yesterday my "consultant" texted me to let me know that the store was offering an additional $100 "instant rebate" off the already manufacturer rebated price. This would bring the camera price down to $897. I gave up my temporary bout of financial responsibility and sent back a text saying that I'd like to come by and grab one of the G9s while they were still in stock. I hate driving at rush hour so instead of zooming out there yesterday in the late afternoon I asked him to meet me at the store at 10 a.m. this morning and I'd get the camera from him then. 

At the risk of jinxing myself I seem to be having a really good day today. I showed up at 10 a.m. and there was a line of customers wrapped around the side of the Precision Camera building waiting to get in at the opening. Nice for Precision Camera. I got into the line and asked what the deal was. PC was holding a "Photo Expo" and giving out random coupons to the first 50 people in line. Most of the coupons were for small discounts on gear or free lens cleaners or something. But I was told that one lucky coupon out of the 50 was for $100 off anything. No strings attached.

The doors opened, the manager shuffled the coupons, greeted the customers and let each one pick their own coupon. The coupons were face down so no one knew what was on the face until after they selected it. I never win at small things so I presumed I'd get a lens blower or a $5 off coupon. I pulled a card from the stack and turned it over. I had just selected the $100 coupon. Which I could immediately apply to my G9 purchase. That brought the price down to $797 but the fun didn't stop there. 

For this "Photo Expo" there were a number of representatives from the major (and minor) camera manufacturers and accessory makers on hand to show off their lines and to answer questions. The Panasonic guy was there. I went over and after a bit of desultory back and forth I cut to the chase and asked him why "every time I buy a new Panasonic camera there is always a sale on the same product the following week or, more recently, a free battery offer attached? I always seem to miss the sales and I always missed the battery giveaway." 

The rep glanced at my boxed G9 and said, "We're out of G9 batteries. It's too bad you didn't get an S5 because we've got plenty of batteries for that camera." I smiled and said, "I do have an S5, and a GH5ii and a GH6 and I didn't get extra, free batteries for those either." The rep graciously admitted defeat and turned to my "consultant" and asked him to pull a free battery for me out of stock. And yes, the S5 batteries are backwardly compatible with the G9. 

I didn't want to push my luck any further so I took my purchase and my additional battery and headed to my car. Which I drove home very carefully just in case the universe was looking to balance out my good fortune with a bit of friction. 

The final pleasant surprise was that Panasonic had updated the firmware in all the current G9s in inventory so when I pulled it out of the wrapping the camera was already showing the latest firmware. That's a nice touch. 

Back home safely, batteries charging, camera date and time set, memory card inserted and formatted. 

Ah. What a charming camera. 

17 comments:

JC said...

Okay, you stole it. That's a good thing, if you wanted one in the first place. As an m4/3 fan, my HUGEST problem with the G9 is its HUGE size, and if the upcoming G10, assuming there is one, is the same size, then I'm probably done with the format when my GX8s finally croak. The fact is, the G9 (without lenses) is actually slightly physically larger, and only an ounce and a half lighter, than my full-frame Nikon Z cameras. (And I recognize that lenses are a big deal, which is the reason I stay with the GX8s.) What I really want is what m4/3 seemed to promise at the beginning, a compact interchangeable lens system, with both small bodies and small lenses -- the original Leica M experience, without the shortcomings of Leica Ms. The GX8 gave us that, then Panasonic mostly took it away with the G9, as capable as that camera is. (I recognize that it's a great -- big -- camera.) I may be be wrong about this, but my general impression is that bigger cameras are generally more capable than smaller cameras, and because camera reviewers and other "experts" seem to be feature driven, cameras tend to get bigger over time, not smaller, as more features are jammed inside. I want to slap the reviewers upside the head and scream, "Small size is a feature! We don't need all that crap you like so much! If we wanted that crap, we'd buy a Nikon, which has more crap than even the biggest m4/3!" But no, the cameras keep growing. I handled an Olympus "pro" camera somebody showed me, and the damn this was nearly as large as a Prius.

I appreciate the fact that in a recent blog entry, you mentioned the RX10, another big fat camera. But it reminded me that I do have an RX100, which may become the walk-around adjunct to the Nikons, when the GX8s give up the ghost.

Anonymous said...

Congrats…your investment in Pannys nudged the stars into alignment. Now, hustle off and grab a lotto ticket before the day’s over. It’s Friday the 13th magic.

EdPledger said...

The anon above is me, somehow I hit the wrong button. Anyway…you lucky dog. Enjoy.

Dick Barbour said...

Congrats, and welcome back to the fold. I went through a similar experience a while ago, when I looked through a lot of past photos to find my favorites of recent years. It seemed that most of them were either from the G9 or the RX10iv, both of which I had also sold for an FFF (Full Frame Fling). I repurchased both and am very happy with them. Although I got a pretty good price for the G9 (not so the RX10iv of course), I certainly didn't steal it like you did!
Dick

Gato said...

I love my G9, but it is BIG. Like JC above, what I really want is an updated GX8.

Glad you got lucky, tho. And on Friday 13th.

Biro said...

I already have a G9 but I thoroughly enjoyed reading that you picked up your own for a song. Thanks for reminding me that I can use my S5 batteries in the G9.

EDC Reader said...

I have a black GX8 and a silver GX8 and a G9, too. I prefer the size and handling of the GX8, especially the tilting viewfinder, but the G9's controls are more conveniently placed. Furthermore, if I'm wearing gloves, the G9 is the better choice. If Panasonic should offer a GX10 as a true successor to the GX8, I'd order it immediately.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Biro, the S5 batteries are also 2200 milliamps while the G9 batts are 1890. A few more frames per charge is a bonus.

WookieeGunner said...

Wait, the G9 is actually decent size? I have huge hands and size is always a
problem for me.

crsantin said...

Camera prices are still disgusting here in Canada. $1299 new for the G9 and good luck finding a used one anywhere near me. I don't know what's happened to the used market here. My Canadian retailer, Henrys, used to be a great source of used gear. Always lots of stock. They are carrying very little now, regardless of brand, format or sensor size. Where did all the gear go?

mshafik said...

I bought a G9 almost a year ago when I wanted to add a new and capable photography/video M43 camera based on your blog posts regarding the trip to Iceland. That and the red ring around the mode dial. 😅

I am very happy with the camera and even more happy to read about it again.

Joe Dasbach said...

Kudos for your reuniting with a G9, Kirk.
My problem with the G9 is its hair-trigger
shutter release. I have never been able to solve
this characteristic. So it languishes, even though
it fits my hands comfortably.

GrantC said...

I've made something of a hobby of trying to figure out What Camera System Kirk Will Buy This Time (WCSKWBTT). I was pretty sure, based on recent history, that you were going to head up-market by pivoting into "medium format" digital, disavowing all your "full frame" gear. Barring that, I thought you might fool everyone by making a lateral move into Leica M bodies.

Never once did I consider the notion that you'd revisit your own past and discover m4/3 all over again. This screws up my whole Kirk Tuck Predictive Algorithm (KTPA).

(It's worth noting that my stock market picks are usually no more successful, so at least I'm consistent.)

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Single frame advance setting instead of continuous settings seems to work for me...

Cliff said...

Your story reminded me that my Aunt Dagmar used to say, " A man buys something for two reasons. A good reason and the real reason".

jrsforums said...

Glad you got it. It’s a great camera and it seemed you missed it….and yes, now we can expect the G10 within 31 days…just after the 30 day return allowance ends 😀

Gilly said...

Congratulations on repurchasing the G9 Kirk, I’m still enjoying every minute using mine. Everything just feels so natural shooting it, I don’t have to think how to change settings and I’m still impressed by the image quality. I recently took it on a trip to Western Queensland using the Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 f2.8s and the Olympus 25 f1.2 pro lenses. Can’t wait to see the files, I’ve been stuck in hospital for 2 weeks since my return and am chomping a the bit to get home. Hopefully tomorrow the doctors have told me.
Always enjoy your blog, always something fresh to read.