5.14.2022

Today I shot Raw + Jpeg. The Jpegs (previously posted) were in black and white while the raw files were.....raw files. I thought you might like to see what some of the stuff I shot looked like in color....

 


I walked around downtown this morning just getting my "sea legs" with the Panasonic G9. I purposefully shot everything in black and white as my primary intention. I posted those shots earlier this afternoon. But I'm always curious how things look in color too. Especially if I'm testing out a new camera or a new lens; or both. If you shoot in both file formats and use the most current rev. of Lightroom the raw files maintain their black and white profile unless you change it. I wanted to see how the color performance of the duo looked so I pulled some of those files as well and reset them back to color. 

The first photo (above) was taken at f11. I was curious to see three things in this sample. 1. Would diffraction at f11 be obvious in this shot when compared to the shot below which was done at f5.0? 2. How would the different apertures affect the specular highlight of the sun being reflected off the tall building. Also a fun thing to compare in the images above and below. And, 3. In both or either examples would the bright light source induce some weird flaring, softening of contrast or manifestation of artifacts?

From my observations the resistance of the Olympus 12-45mm Pro to flaring and artifacts is very superior. Which points to good design, good manufacture and great lens coatings. Another observation is that I really like the sun star and I don't think diffraction crept in and killed the effect of the image. I also like the fortuitous bird in the top frame....


None of the photos here has been retouched to deepen the skies or increase the blue saturation. Sometimes Austin just looks like this.. The images above and below are examples of two different focal lengths taken from the same vantage point. I like the wide one best. 


old and new.




While the GH6 and GH5ii are exemplary video cameras I think that even though the G9 is over four years old at this point it is still the preeminent photography variant of the Panasonic system and doesn't even need to be updated, upgraded or otherwise messed with. It does a great job in 2022 and it floors me that it's now so cheap to purchase. Even if I did have a little extra help from the universe. 

But you know, according to one wag on the web, I only keep on accepting commercial photography assignments so I can afford to keep buying cameras. Not really true and a bit condescending but there it is...

6 comments:

Bob F. said...

You have to stop this! I’ve been lusting after a G9 for months because I really like the compact m4/3 form factor. My wife keeps saying that I do just fine with a Nikon D7100 and already have a LUMIX GX85 when I want a wrist strap camera. If she leaves because I buy a new G9, it will be your fault.

TMJ said...

I prefer the black and white for that slightly melancholic, 'Downtown' look.

And I still love Petula Clark's Downtown hit, which reminds me of walking in the West End of London, at night, back in the 60s, with my parents as a yet to turn teenager.

Derek said...

Good stuff - love the layering in shot 7.

Richard said...

Many a true word spoken in jest … I did smile when that “web wag” made the point and obviously it’s not really true. On the other hand by your own account you no longer need to work and you do appear to get pleasure from your testing of new and old new cameras which you wouldn’t get if you stuck to the same old thing all the time so … .

I guess a similar argument could apply to your swimming which you often relate to the heath benefits but since you clearly enjoy it who knows where the real motive comes from?

I’m pleased you came back to m43. You seemed very engaged with it before and it was interesting that you were swimming (haha!) against the FF tide. Nice monochromes earlier.

jrsforums said...

I’ll have to try your Lightroom ‘trick’. I have always thought ‘Adobe Color’ too saturated, so have a import preset with a more neutral profile (plus zero sharpening some can evaluate noise, before any sharpening). I wonder if, without the preset (or only’0’ sharpening), it will pick up the in-camera ‘Neutral’.

jrsforums said...

Tag