5.11.2022

So...at one point I really was smitten by small sensor, long lens, compact cameras. I think I still am.

 

I was looking for an older photograph that I wanted to send to an art director who works in an ad agency in San Antonio. We'd been e-mailing back and forth about a project and I remembered an image of a woman working in an office that more or less encapsulated the look and feel that I was trying to steer him towards in a contemporary project. I found the image but I also stumbled across this image from about a decade ago. If you compare it with images from a similar viewpoint today you'd find that this image is missing three or four (or more) tall buildings. 

It was taken with a Sony RX10-2. A camera with a one inch sensor and a lens that went from 24-200mm. Just right, I think. The f-stop for this photo was 6 and the focal length for the shot was 8.8mm. The shutter speed was 1/125th of a second. 

It's not a particularly clever shot but it does show off what smaller sensor cameras can do well. The can include huge swaths of a scene in sharp focus. The depth of field is different from current tastes. 

I walk through this area frequently and seeing this image from a long time ago brings me back to how fresh this particular retail development (a re-use of a retired electric generating plant) looked and felt at the time. And how much fun it was to document progress in the downtown Austin area. 

I haven't seen any announcements or rumors that would lead me to believe that Sony is on the cusp of introducing a new model in the RX10 series and I think that's too bad. The final one, as of now, is the RX10-IV and it's pretty darn good. It's got an enormous range of angles of view, fast AF, great color, good 4K video and also good image stabilization. 

The retail price is still around $1600 for the camera and to my mind you are getting an amazingly good lens; it may be the selling point of the whole package. If the camera used a bigger battery it would be close to perfect for those photographers and videographers who really aren't smitten by super thin slivers of sharp focus. This camera trades "bokeh" for information. 

I'll be a bit sad when the RX10-4 is finally discontinued. For some people it's the perfect imaging solution. 

Just a quick walk down memory lane. 

10 comments:

adam said...

friend told me about someone in a store saying something similar once "this ones a zoom lens with a camera attached"

Doug said...

I almost bought the RX10iv, but the ergonomics put me off. Still wonder about it for travel. What a lens and great autofocus, but I found it awkward in my hand. Liked the FZ1000 ergonomics much better, but the lens got so-so reviews. Passed on both in the end. Maybe I should reconsider?

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

It's much bulkier and a bit heavier than just using an OMD EM-2 or 3 and a small kit zoom. For travel that is...

Gordon R. Brown said...

I love my RX10-3, also known as RX10 Mark 3.

Biro said...

I still have the original RX10 with 24-200mm f/2.0 lens. It is still a solid camera. What I would love is an RX10 with the FZ100 battery and the autofocus and imaging engine from the RX10 IV. I'm not holding my breath.

Joel Bartlett said...

Two of my favorite cameras. Influenced by your blog, I bought an RX10ii in 2016 as a travel camera. Absolutely loved it. Later I started to get interested in shooting shore birds while walking along the San Francisco Bay, so I picked up an RX10iv as an "inexpensive" birding camera which I'm still shooting with today. My only regret is lending the RX10ii to my wife. Now she treasures it as her travel camera. No way I'm getting it back, so I travel with my Leica CL.

Unknown said...

The lens alone is worth the price- Konica adv 1957

Anonymous said...

I seem to recall that you also enjoyed using the Panasonic equivalent too? Have you looked back at the photos your FZ1000 produced?

Phil Stiles said...

I have enjoyed both the RX10M3 and M4.
If there's plenty of light and subjects that aren't moving too quickly, it's great.
Here's an album shot entirely with an M3 of dancers in a quarry with musical accompaniment.
https://goo.gl/photos/VDq9barDkPqLBW4L9
The M4 has a notable feature for sports. You can set it for slo-mo and continually recording. When you press the shutter, it goes back a few seconds and finalizes the recording.
I set the camera on a tripod at a soccer match and start the HFR feature. When a goal is scored, I press the shutter and the camera gives me the most recent frames, now recorded, ending at the moment I pressed the shutter.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ywf89aemYzYGnEVi9

Although it's got a 600mm (equivalent) lens, the focus still isn't quick enough for a straight sports shooter or birds in flight and it isn't good at all in low light.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks Phil, Great info. Cool cameras.