8.16.2018

Panasonic V-Log. A quick and simple test.


This is the video in its V-Log form, unedited by human hands.

    

This is the video after I've applied the Panasonic V-Log to Rec 709 LUT and tweaked a few settings.

It's a quick and easy test to make sure that the GH5S, Final Cut Pro 10X, and the LUT all play nicely together. Ostensibly, you can get more dynamic range with a Log file but you have to shoot a file that looks very flat in your monitor. The GH5S has an in-camera LUT (look up table) that changes the way the file looks on your monitor, as you shoot, to get you, visually, into the ballpark.

You bring the super flat file into your editing program and overlay a LUT that maps the file into a REC 709 space so it looks normal. I find I like a bit more richness/darkness in the shadows so I also hit the curves controls.

The GH5S nicely passes my test for a good 1080p shooting machine.

shot in V-Log. ISO 320. 60 fps. 10 bit 4:2:2. All-I. All done.

5 comments:

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

forgot to mention but it should be obvious that this was shot in full sunlight.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks Frank. I'm trying to put some quality time into my camera handling of the GH5S. It's a great little camera.

Fred said...

I froze both videos partway through so I could both images on my monitor at the same time. Very cool. While I am a long way from wringing out all I can from my G85 I think that the GH5S is more interesting to me than the GH5. I am quite fascinated with its sensor and look forward to your continued insights about this camera. I wonder what it could incite me to do.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Hi Frank and Fred, I wanted to thank both of you for your feedback. Sometimes it's like crickets chirping here if I write anything about video....

I'll keep both of you posted. Might even send some private, platinum level content your way. Thank you! Kirk

John Krumm said...

I'm curious what you think of the 10 mb raw stills. Much difference between the GH5 other than resolution?