8.14.2018

Portrait of Susan. Shot for a book cover. Not used. Tragic.

Susan.

I shot this image as a possible candidate for the cover of my LED Lighting book, published by Amherst Media. I loved the shot and left a lot of space on the left and right for cropping, titling and sub-titling. The publisher decided to go in a different direction. And the hard fact of the matter is that the cover is part of the book's marketing and that is nearly always controlled by the publisher. 

Proof that I don't always get my own way. It was fun for me, at least, because I got to work with Susan; who was a great talent.

3 comments:

Roger Jones said...

It is Tragic. Wonderful shot, it would have made a great cover. The way you lit her hair and face invites you in.

I love B&W

Roger

Wolfgang Lonien said...

She sure is pretty Kirk, and the photo is cool as well. But the camera is out of focus, and from a standpoint of promoting a book about LED lighting, I think I can understand your publisher (was it Amherst? I have the book - at home, and I'm at work), that outdoor picture worked better. So I guess that was the right decision for them.

That said, I'd like to see more nice portraits like this one. Your drawers must be full of those ;-)

Keep up the good work - and thanks for sharing your thoughts here year after year.

Anonymous said...

Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging
on sites I stumbleupon everyday. It will always be useful to read
through articles from other authors and practice something from other websites.