10.23.2023

Black and white portrait from the "archives."

Vera. 

there was a portrait combo I really liked and I used it to make a small series of black and white, square portraits several years ago. The camera was the Lumix S1R and the Lens was the original Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art lens, made for the L mount system. 

I had been working with LED lights for well over a decade and when this image was done, back in early 2020, I was breaking in a new set of lights from Godox. Big, heavy, fan-cooled, monolight style fixtures with COB output devices. As is usually my lighting methodology I used a big umbrella as the main light and further softened it with a white diffusion cover. The ISO was 320. The shutter speed was 1/100th of a second and the aperture was f2.0. 

I used a lower powered LED light, also fitted with ample diffusion, on the background; for separation. 

The subject, Vera, was the owner of an Austin advertising agency. She called to schedule an appointment with me because she liked the style of black and white portraits I'd shot for other clients. 

That camera and lens are gone. They were replaced with the Leica SL2 and the newer version of the Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art lens. 

It's a "quiet" style of portraiture but one I really like. 
 

5 comments:

Ron White said...

Among all of your portraits that I have see, these B&W, square format ones are my favorites and the lighting is perfect.

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Thanks Ron.

JC said...

I like it a lot, although it's austere. I also like the B&W portrait a couple of posts back, the pretty girl with the upside-down coffee cup. That one has a very nice sensuousness to it. (You may have noticed.)

Anonymous said...

I don't typically shoot portraits. Or black and white. Or square format. But, damn, every time I see your square b&w portraits, it makes me want to shoot that way! Very nice.

Ken

rob/smalltalk productions said...

Kirk-your portrait style is so very timeless. Thank you for the effort and the sharing. Thumbs up.