10.28.2023

Survived the transition to 68. Now headed out to photograph at the "Day of the Dead" event in downtown. Which camera? Which camera?



I was at loose ends in the early afternoon yesterday and trying to decide what the perfect camera would be to take along today for the Day of the Dead celebration. I'd gotten good images back in 2022 with an SL body and one, lone 40mm f1.4 Voigtlander lens but I got really good images in 2019 with a Panasonic S1 and the kit zoom. I like the idea of the longer reach but I've been indecisive. 

At some point, perhaps because I've had two of them sitting on my desk for the last week, I thought it might be a fun solution to use a Leica CL along with the Panasonic 24-105mm lens. I'd get a wide range along with image stabilization and the small camera body would help to offset the bulk and weight of the lens. The lure of getting the equivalent of nearly 160mm lens on the long end was strong. And, in my world, losing a bit of the frame on the wide end makes no difference at all. In fact, a 36mm equivalent is just about as wide as I like to go and still be happy.

Ever the cautious plodder I felt compelled to test the rig out in advance just to see what I might be overlooking. I grabbed an extra battery and headed over to S. Congress Ave. to see what was shaking on a Friday afternoon. 

Here's my report: The focal length range on the APS-C camera is wonderful. Just right for me. At the long end I can isolate subjects and toss the backgrounds out of focus. At the short end everything works to create a neutral experience. The lens is more than sharp enough even wide open and the I.S. works even on a camera from circa 2017.

But there are a few downsides. First off, if I use the image stabilization feature and also chimp from time to time the camera sucks out power from its diminutive battery at a frightening clip. If I choose to take this combo with me for the parade and festival today I'll probably cram at least two, and maybe three batteries into a pocket. It's that perilous. 

Second, the camera and lens combination is slower to focus than I am used to with the SL and SL2 cameras ---- which gives me pause. It's workable but only adequately workable. The smaller lenses made for the format are much quicker and more assured. 

Finally, the size of the lens in comparison with the camera body is almost comical. The ergonomics are all wrong --- not that this consideration has ever stopped me from enjoying a thoroughly counter-intuitive combination in the past... (hello Sigma fp...).

If I want to take advantage of the reach of the zoom lens when combined with the APS-C frame I think a much better alternative is to take the Leica SL2 and use it in the "crop" mode when I want more reach. The combination feels more natural. The battery life is about 50% greater and with the high resolution sensor I'm still getting 22 megapixels in the crop mode.

There is always another choice and maybe today I'll choose portability and limited focal range instead since, in an unusual twist, B. is coming along with me to experience the event. And it's very rare for me to head to a photo event with anyone else in tow.  We'll park and walk the usual route and bring phones to stay in contact in the crowds. Since I am, by nature, hyper-vigilant and protective the Q2 might provide the best chances at giving me potentially great images while at the same time not impeding my emotional need for good situational awareness. 

The above was written half an hour ago.  Now I have a final photography gear plan for today.  It consists of two Leica CLs. One fitted with the Sigma 56mm f1.4. And one fitted with the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8. I'll wear my tiniest backpack to hold extra batteries, a rain jacket, the phone, a small first aid kit, and whichever camera body and lens I am not using in the moment. 

But, since the process is more important than the final imaging outcome I think I'll check my need for great results at the door and just plan on having fun.

Gear note: for the first time in years and years I bought myself absolutely nothing on my birthday. No new Leicas (or old ones), no lenses, no cool Benchmade pocket knives, no super cool hiking shoes and, of course, nothing automotive. It's either a sign of late arriving maturity or I just wasn't able to find the object of desire that clicked this year. I'm sure it will change...

Oh, point of this post? To circuitously explain why a big, fat, chunky zoom lens isn't the right fit for a tiny APS-C format body when shooting outdoor events in a crowded urban setting....

4 comments:

Biro said...

Good plan, Kirk. I was going to suggest the Sigma 18-50 as a natural for this application. And the second CL body with the 56mm has you covered for anything else you’re likely to see. I usually have an aversion to carrying two camera bodies. But let us know how it works out. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

That’ll be fun!

Bob

Greg Heins said...

I'm heading to ParisPhoto at the end of next week. I always allow a lot of time for personal photography and what to bring is always a question. Security is going to be tight everywhere and I'm leaning towards only a Fuji xt-5, the 27mm pancake and the small 16mm lenses. No bag, just sport coat pockets. And a clear shower cap for the camera in the inevitable rain. And my monopod/cane!

Kirk, Photographer/Writer said...

Camera bags are so last century....